Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[253] Collets moved down into valve stem seal groove??

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Yeah I used the LT1 springs on the motor with the old heads which were ok with the cam. So hopefully we shouldn't run into any problems with them. Only getting new H/D retainers and collets just so they aren't the weakest link anymore.

Here's a pic of the old springs.

DSCF4411640x480.jpg

DSCF4413640x480.jpg

And the new LT1 spring with the damper.
DSCF4424640x480.jpg

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I can supply retainers and collets from the states for next to nothing, would just cost ya to send to oz.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Got the new springs and retainers in, and only just made it this morning, weren't sure whether it would be ready for race day.

Anyways.....got another problem now lol.....

DSCF4445640x480.jpg

DSCF4447640x480.jpg

DSCF4451640x480.jpg

DSCF4450640x480.jpg

Time to go back to the v belts I think, as the gilmer more then likely played a huge part in this. Brad rekons the new motor seems to be pretty killer.....still got major traction issues so gotta get them sorted now. And might do the cam change now and put a smaller cam in....ya can really hear it's too big coz he comes out of corners and it sounds like she's struggling, then when the revs get up a bit ya can hear the cam coming in (starts making power at abour 3200rpm) coz the revs fly up and yeah no traction at all pretty much. Was gonna order a pair of Hoosiers for the back after Easter, but a mate rekons we should try some 215 15's with the 70 profile wall. So might go get a pair of those next week.....as well as a waterpump....altho the waterpump is only a few months old (bought it new when I rebuilt the motor and dropped it in my VB) so might take it back to the place I bought it coz I rekon it had 12 months warranty....and yeah well the bearings are shagged lol.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
what sort of dizzy are you running getting it regraphed could help the cam issue if its centrifical advance some stiffer springs and crank the base advance up a bit will help a lot

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
danm i dont think i want a gilmer now. yea i would be taken the water pump back 12 months warraty but what are you going to say?lol id ask for a shroud to take it with ya make em replace it lol danm

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I can't see them replacing that water pump, if you do take it in make sure you take off the gilmour pulley LOL

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Running a standard elec dizzy. Not even sure if the timing is at it's best spot, we were gonna leave it for the dyno, but never made it lol. Will fix wat we broke and if she still runs good I'll book it in for the dyno again. When he got back into the pits, the oil pressure suddenly dropped and the motor stopped. But yeah last night after having a play, it runs again and has regained oil pressure, but the oil pressure sender is leaking, so that shouldn't be to hard to fix.

Ya can tell the gilmer was on there coz at some stage during it flying apart the back of the pulley has made contact with the waterpump so there's a round groove in it. We had to space it out with a washer on each nut coz it was coming close to hitting, so there wasn't much clearance between the back of the pulley and the waterpump anyways.

Won't bother me if they don't replace it under warranty tho coz they're only about $50-$60 anyways. We got plently of shrouds lying around the place anyway, and the fan well we got other clutch fans but a mate gave us a fan he use to run which he rekons is the best thing to run. Like us, he also doesn't like running thermo's, so he uses Ford fans which are on the 6's, redrills them and uses them on his Holden V8's. Funny thing is he didn't race yesterday, but he still brought one with him for us incase something happened as he warned us about this happening lol.

Don't worry Leigh, I was running a gilmer on this motor when it was in my VB and it was on there for about 2 months from when we put the motor in to when we pulled it out and it was ok. It's just since we've put the yella terra heads on it revs to 6500rpm with ease, where as in my VB with the standard heads it got to about 5000rpm and that was it. So they are still fairly safe to run. Apparently the clutch fans cause drama's in high revs which would of been another thing which played a part in it all flying apart.