Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[253] Collets moved down into valve stem seal groove??

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Tried adjusting the roller rockers 2night but after adjusting a few and realising the pushrods become 'turnable' by finger after a few cranks of the motor, we decided to chuck the ol steel rockers back on. It's booked in for a dyno tune 2morrow so can't be stuffing around with the roller rockers....I think it's coz we're using a hydraulic setup.

Anyways.....got a small problem (apart from the bent pushrod we found lol), it seems on one valve, the collets have moved down into the valve stem seal groove, and the valve stem isn't even higher then the retainer.

How could it have done this, and if we compress the spring would they come out easy? I'd assume and hope they've somehow slipped and we'd just need to put a new seal on the stem, then chuck the collets back in properly....whaddya's rekon?

DSCF4409640x480.jpg

DSCF4410640x480.jpg

DSCF4408_EDIT640x480.jpg

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
After looking at it a bit more it seems the collets haven't moved, it's the retainer which have popped through a bit.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I would suspect you need new collets or have used 7 degree instead of 10 not sure what degree your retainers are tho so bit hard to say, I would say replace collets and retainers.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Took the pics to the guy who was gonna do the dyno tune, and he rekons either the double valve springs have too much pressure for the standard retainers (he rekons their shouldn't be standard retainers on there if we're using double valve springs), or the springs are binding up (which could be why the roller rockers keep coming loose and we bent a pushrod). As the heads were ok on the motor they come off we're thinkin maybe it's coz we're using a bigger cam in this motor (only has about .496" valve lift tho). He rekons to check how much clearance there is on the springs when the valves are fully open. He said 60thou clearance minimum, or as it's hydraulic, allow 100thou.

Gonna order some Crow chromoly retainers and collets 2day tho when we pull the old ones off to get the measurements....just to be safe.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
yea it is quite an odd one isn't it, hope you get it all sorted.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Yeah well the guy rekons he's only ever seen this happen once or twice in his career lol.

I guess if a proper workshop built the motor it wouldn't of happened coz if it's a clearance issue most of the time they check those things on a high performance motor. We're only just getting into building up motors (this is the most expensive motor we've built up), so still a huge learning curve for us.

In a way it's good that it happened coz we're learning from it......anyways, better go back out in the shed and find out wat the verdict is. :thumbsup:

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Couldn't find any Crow heavy duty chromoly retainers to suit the double valve springs, so changing over to the LT1 chev springs, and have ordered the heavy duty Crow retainers and collets to suit those. Hopefully have them Wednesday and can put the motor back together and f we're extremely lucky someone will cancel their dyno session b4 the end of the week and they can squeeze us in b4 the next race meeting on Sunday.

Oh yeah and here's the culprit....seems the double row springs have to much pressure for the standard retainers. Checked the clearance and at full lift there's about .090" between the coils....so doubt it was the springs binding.

broken_retainer.jpg

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
That ^^^ cant be good for the motor (bearings). You were lucky it did not drop a valve and self distruct!!!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The LT1 springs should fix you up , they can go to .500 and a little bit more than that. Those must be some strong springs you have