Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Colour matching issues with voodoo

eddie357

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS commodore 2009
Has anyone had issues with colour matching the colour voodoo on a holden? I recently got some repair work done on my car which consisted of a replacement rear bumper and boot. The boot looks fine but the bumper just doesn't.
Is there some procedure when dealing with plastic aspects of the car versus the metal panels?

IMAG0128.jpgIMAG0129.jpg

Any advice on this matter would be much appreciated

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Even holden can't match the panels to the plastics. Very few manufacturers do.

That said, a good panel shop should be able to get it much closer than it looks in the picture. I would definitely be taking it back. To me, it looks like they've just mixed up from the paint code and not actually matched it to the car. That is definitely not a good match.

holdendude

ŞuρξЯŞ†★Ř
Reaction score
Members Ride
*AL4SHO* VR Commodore
Yeh we have many problems with matching this colour, mainly on bumper... We usually get a closer match than this :doh: haha

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i did this color about 3 weeks ago on a rear bar in standox. my color off the machine was too light and milky on the flip and not enough sparkle on the face and flip. when i match heavy pearl colors i always mix a small amount and do a test card so that i dont have to waste a bunch of color trying to turn it over to match the car. i ended up doing some major alterations to the formula to get it right, left out half of the white and doubled the effect additive that suspends the pearl and brings out the sparkle.

also with pearl basecoats that are mostly pearl some painters make the mistake of just basing right over the bare black polypropylene plastic. if they dont put enough color that black will show through. it could be part of the problem on your car along with a bad paint match, it might not be covered with color.

when i paint voodoo i use a pastel blue base (white base with some blues tipped in to get a blue hue) under the color so theres no chance that black will show through. just yesterday i painted 2 porsche boxer bumper bars in the same way, they were a canary yellow color and i used a milky yellow base to cover the dark grey primer that was underneath. i paint all transparent metalics and solid base jobs like 3 stage pearls so theres no #### ups....

VS_Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore executive series II Esteem model
this is a common problem as the way the metalic sits on a plastic panel to a metal panel is always going to be different due to the static in the bumpers makes the mettalic flakes sit differently but any good crash repair should be able to match it a lot better then that.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
this is a common problem as the way the metalic sits on a plastic panel to a metal panel is always going to be different due to the static in the bumpers makes the mettalic flakes sit differently but any good crash repair should be able to match it a lot better then that.

this is true but you get bigger differences on lighter colors like silvers and whatnot. alot of panel shops use this excuse to get away with lazy practices. 9/10 of my bumper jobs apply the same on the bumpers as it did on the test card. the less metallic's in a color and the more pure tinters the less of that random orientation of the particles youll get. a color like that voodoo shouldnt be that far out due to static...

professional spray facilities that paint plastics will push negatively charged air at the plastic parts during the painting process to neutralize the charge on it. this also keeps it from attracting junk into the paint as well. normal panel shops cant afford crap like that though...

all this is only for solvent born paints though, if your spraying waterborn the water in the base automatically neutralizes the static so you get perfect layout and great coverage. not to mention the colors are better because %99 of the cars on the market now are painted with it from the factory.

vnss_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
yeah judging by the boot lid matching fine and looking at the photos, def looks like the black showing through. that colour has very poor coverage unless applied over the correct base like hi_ryder already stated