Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coloured undercoats

dzach23

Bra Bra Potato Potato
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina Series 1 genesis blue
My crappy Lumina spoiler is breaking at the base and it obviously had a red paint underneath before the blue was painted on, so it got me thinking is it red underneath deliberately or am i just over thinking it and it was just resprayed blue.

If it was deliberate Is their a purpose to having a different colour as an undercoat to the top colour coat?
(unleash your knowledge if you know more about this subject)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
my limited knowledge extends to the impala. i sprayed red ocher primer underneath the green because it makes the green more brilliant. if that makes sense. soop said it has a lot to do with light going through the paint and back to your eye, which makes sense.

all i know is i sprayed three test patches, one with grey etch primer, one with cream/yellowish putty and one with red ocher. the red ocher base made for a much nicer green. the other two just were not as 'green' its hard to explain. sorry.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Yeah that's about it Ari.
The light travels through the paint and reflects all the colours back, the if you have two panels, one black and one white and paint red over the both of them, One will be lighter the the other, In basic terms anyway. I'm not going to go into how metamerisms and all that BS work.

dzach23

Bra Bra Potato Potato
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina Series 1 genesis blue
cool, i figured their was some "science" behind it
Time to google "metamerisms"
thanks ari and soop for the info, just a bit more to think about before choosing a colour...:thumbsup: