Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 COME 590 ALLOY HEADS- Thoughts??

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE2 CALAISV/ VXSS/VP SENATOR #021, K4 GSXR600
Hey all. Just wondering who's got them and are they happy with them??
Thinking of getting a set but wondering if they've required re-aligning of the valve guides etc.??

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
What size valves are they using

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2.02"/ 1.6"?? Just mainly looking into build quality. Do you have a set?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I have a set of C.O.M.E heads, not sure what series they are (as I purchased them from a race engine, the engine was in a Torana for 2 seasons only). Same valve sizes as your looking at.
I think that they are very well manufactured and I am happy to recommend them. You will have to run stud mount roller rockers, hardened pushrods (you need to change length anyway) and guide plates, but they are all worthwhile upgrades as well. Just keep in mind the extra expense that they will bring.

I have measured and photographed mine a month or so ago before they went on the stroker engine. I noticed a quirk or two and wonder what they discovered with all there R&D before releasing them for sale. I just get the feeling that someone knows a lot about fluid dynamics in there design of these.

too sum it up: there are cheaper ways to make power, but I feel that these heads make extra power with no loss or downside (unlike a cam that will sacrifice one rpm range for another)
If you already have good stroke, good compression, cam, intake etc, etc. Then this is the next logical step and definitely worth looking into.

It would be interesting to compare the price of these against modification of standard heads to similar spec (valves, ports, pedestal's etc)
they are also lighter and transfer heat faster.

the only downsides would be:
- more risk of damage if you happen to overheat your engine
- longer cool down between running an engine and removing a head
But these should never become issue's

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers @Deuce !
Machinists coming back on the 18th next month so will find out out if I need anything new (maybe pushrods- already hardened but have Crane Gold stud mounted adjustable rrs)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
If you already have the hardened pushrods you will just need to assemble the engine with new heads and recheck that your length is correct, It should be close but it is best to recheck as so many things can influence the height that the rockers sit at.
Although, when I purchased my pushrods they were only available in 50thou increments, so if your change is only 20thou, then you will still be best to re-use your current pushrods.
Good luck, and be sure to let us know how you go.

UNLEASHED

Choose your weapon...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah- just want to make sure the rocker angle isn't excessive before a full run but yep might put her up when done... :)