Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commdore VB front shocks

Gozza1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979 Commodore VB
Hi guys,

I am replacing some bushings so I am thinking of changing my old front shocks.

Stock replacement nothing fancy.

The question that I have when I search on ebay for VB shocks , they don't look like what I have

https://ibb.co/GFyf0Ht

Can I get the exact replacement?It seems that shocks are all straight but I cannot see that top bit that holds the spring.

Can someone please send me a link of ebay as to which part will replace this one?

Thank you

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The shock is inside the strut.....The strut is what encases the spring

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?....m570.l1313&_nkw=vb+commodore+shocks&_sacat=0

This is what they look like

1600065781535.png

From inside the engine bay, you will see some bearing plates...Here's a picture

1600066539199.png

In the center of this, you will see a plastic cover....Remove that cover and you will see the nut that holds the shock to this plate.

To remove the shocks, the strut assembley has to be removed and the spring must be compressed, before undoing this nut I have described.....

Hopefully this helps you

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
When you remove the old ones, if they have never been before, they will be slightly different and have oil in there as the factory ones are the shock. Aftermarket are a cartridge that replaces the OEM unit.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
And one thing I did forget to mention is, the shock is held in by a big nut that threads into the body of the strut...The nut can be seen in the picture of the shocks I posted up...

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Spring compressors are a must.....if don't know how to use them safely pay somebody to swap shocks/springs over for you.

Will probably need new strut tops like most cars.

Gozza1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979 Commodore VB
Thank you all, I understand.

If I can take them out as a complete unit without decomprressing the spring, I will just take them to my local mechanic, he can fit them inside the strut.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Getting the bottom ball joint apart can be tricky if you've never done one before. Before you undo the 3 nuts on the strut mount you need to separate the lower ball joint. Undo the ball joint nut but leave it on a few threads, with a lever, put some downwards pressure on the lower control arm and hit the part of the strut just under the ball joint nut with a hammer and it will pop. Remove the brake caliper but don't undo the brake line, hang it by some wire so it doesn't hang by the line, undo the tie rod end (separate the taper by hitting the side of it with a hammer) and the swaybar links. Lever the ball joint out of the bottom of the strut. Undo the 3 strut top nuts inside the engine bay while holding the strut or it will fall out, then remove it.

I think that's all.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Getting the bottom ball joint apart can be tricky if you've never done one before. Before you undo the 3 nuts on the strut mount you need to separate the lower ball joint. Undo the ball joint nut but leave it on a few threads, with a lever, put some downwards pressure on the lower control arm and hit the part of the strut just under the ball joint nut with a hammer and it will pop. Remove the brake caliper but don't undo the brake line, hang it by some wire so it doesn't hang by the line, undo the tie rod end (separate the taper by hitting the side of it with a hammer) and the swaybar links. Lever the ball joint out of the bottom of the strut. Undo the 3 strut top nuts inside the engine bay while holding the strut or it will fall out, then remove it.

I think that's all.

Sounds like you have done 1 or 2 :)

Sounds about right to me..Don't need to undo the sway bar links though....The go into the lower control arm with the early girls...I think VN is when they went onto the strut

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sounds like you have done 1 or 2 :)

Sounds about right to me..Don't need to undo the sway bar links though....The go into the lower control arm with the early girls...I think VN is when they went onto the strut

Too many to count...I couldn't remember the sway bar links, been a while since I've done an early one.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Too many to count...I couldn't remember the sway bar links, been a while since I've done an early one.

Yea VB-VL are arm mount. People like to use the arm mount links in the VP-VN in track cars because it unloads the steering. There are kits for VR-VS to mount to the arm I can't remember if you can get the kits for VT-VZ, but I used the VR kit once before it really makes the steering lighter would be good for using a manual rack in the later cars.