Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore cuts out while driving

dozo77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS v6
I have a VS Holden Commodore, a few days ago my car motor while driving, started to drop out just for a moment then all ok. The next morning I jumped in drove for about 10 min parked, when I came back to the car it wouldn't start, ignition was fine but not kick over. I and others were thinking fuel. The following day the mobile mechanic turned up, and the car started first go. He checked the fuel pump pressure and said fine, he also said I have a leak with the water pump and it will be leaking on the CAS, need to change sooner than later. I did this yesturday. So the car turns off randomly, sometimes starts and sometimes nothing. Last night it stopped, I sat in it for 30min and then it started again.

12 months ago I changed: CAS, DPI Module, Fuel Pump... can these go in 1yr??

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

dozo77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS v6
I just checked the computer, it read 3 readings. 12, 46, 49. Looking at the link posted above, 46 and 49 refer to CAS so, 1yr ago I replaced the CAS the part I got was from I think, Super Cheap Auto. At that time I got a mobile mechanic out as it didn't fix my problem and I didn't want to keep spending money on guesses to the problem, he changed the DPI and inspected my work on the CAS, all good then.

So the CAS and DPI can have a short life span (1yr) ?
The leak from the Water Pump can drop water down and destroy the CAS?
Anyway of checking if it is CAS or DPI? Just to save the big job of changing the CAS as I don't have the tools at home.
Does the computer (Error codes) need resetting after fixing a problem, as I didn't reset after last fixing it?

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to get to the source.

Aden41

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR Commodore Sedan
That happened to me but doesnt sound as bad and it was a bent crank shaft on mine but could be something worse on yours

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ask as many questains as you like mate.
Just change the CAS mate with holden part.
I changed my DFI modual awhile ago they have gone up in price alot.
To reset codes in the engine bay open the fuse box take out the motor fuse turn the ignition on turn off replace fuse done.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
i had a very simialr problem untill one day it didnt want to start, well make that one night at 2 am after work in a blackout ...anyway got racq out as i couldnt see **** and i couldnt be ####ed looking, he did useual stuf etc, changed this changed that (i had spare senbsors etc in car) then checked engin fuse, it was blown, so i had a short, anyway after a few days i found out the wireing to the DFI modue was screwed.\

so ye check the DFI wireing connector and see if its corroded etc

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Good point.
I had the bolt broken in mine.