Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

commodore development

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Will do!

But am I correct in saying that the RB30 was far less reliable than the Straight-6 "Grey" motor in the VK? I heard that the RB30 when fitted in the skyline recieved far less mechanical errors than when fitted in the VL..

And if you wanted a large monent in Commodore history discuss the VT. Record breaking sales for Holden since the HQ kingswood, the best selling Commodore to date. Another large moment is the VR Acclaim, which was the first Australian car to feature a driver's airbag, and the VS Acclaim which was the first Australian car to feature both passenger and dual airbags.

Ummm - the "grey" motor was the old sideplater used from 48/215 to the EJ.

You mean the old red/blue/black six, which ran from the EH to the VK. A totally different motor. That engine was extremely durable, though some of the cost cutting which took place over the years affected the reliability somewhat. (eg replacing the steel distributor drive gear with a nylon one - great idea, not!) The engine had the virtue of utter simplicity and lengthy refinement over nearly 23 years. When Holden installed the RB30 in the Commodore, some aspects of the installation, such as the cooling system, were not so good, as already pointed out. Combine a dodgy cooling system with the fact that the engine had an alloy head and it was possible, if the engine overheated, to end up with a warped head, which was virtually unknown in the old Holden motor, because it was all cast iron.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
But am I correct in saying that the RB30 was far less reliable than the Straight-6 "Grey" motor in the VK? I heard that the RB30 when fitted in the skyline recieved far less mechanical errors than when fitted in the VL..

As above (10 Characters)

but it had the distinct downfall of being designed for a nissan and not a commodore. the radiators in the VL's were mounted too low, so a special procedure had to be done to get rid of the air lock in the cooling system if ever the owner flushed the cooling system. failure to remove the air lock meant the car would overheat and crack/warp the cylinder head. which happened.... a LOT.