Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

commodore development

DUBHSTATO

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH statesman S1
hey all,
im doing a research project on "how has the holden commodore developed over the last 30 years?" and i was just wondering was everyones opinion was, being the most noticable and important development point through each model.
For example; the jump from vy - vz included the change from the ecotec engine (producing 152kw i believe?) to the change of the alloytec (producing 190kw, but using less fuel) but suttle changes including revised tail lights, changed headlights and dash changes.
Could someone with the know-how please help me out? feel free to add anything missing!

VB -- VE models
cheers guys

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
Great project from my understanding the commodore was originally developed from the opel in europe. One of the early criticisms of the vb - vr commodore was the rear suspension setup which was taken directly from the opel then bits removed and finally a single panhard rod to replace all the removed parts. This had the horrible effect of moving the diff up to two inches left or right depending upon wether the suspension was being compressed or expanded. The VB was a combination of old parts left over from the hz/wb holden (mainly chev parts) and the opel. The VC was the first of the real cvommodores with all new design up front engine wise but still retained the rear opel based suspension.

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
try wikipedia.. has all the different models on the one page... info like what changed and stuff is on there :) good luck with the project

DUBHSTATO

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH statesman S1
thanks for replies guys :) helped me out a bit :)
i have been on almost every single commodore - wikipedia - holden site, you name it i tryed it, but the information about the commodore originating from the opel design and using opels rear suspension setup through vb - vr was very handy! thats the development im struggling to find elsewhere :/
project is coming along nicely too :)

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
"For example; the jump from vy - vz included the change from the ecotec engine (producing 152kw i believe?) to the change of the alloytec (producing 190kw, but using less fuel) but suttle changes including revised tail lights, changed headlights and dash changes. "

If it helps, the buick engine was replaced with Ecotec in the VS which was 152kw @ the fly, up until VY like you said, but the VZ's are 175kw standard, the SV6's are 190kw.. Then the VE's are 210kw or something like that.. Not sure on that one.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
lets all not forget the change from an australia designed 253CI V8 (VC, VH) to a japanese designed (nissan) RB30DE EFI 6 cylinder (VL) which produced more power and used less fuel.

but it had the distinct downfall of being designed for a nissan and not a commodore. the radiators in the VL's were mounted too low, so a special procedure had to be done to get rid of the air lock in the cooling system if ever the owner flushed the cooling system. failure to remove the air lock meant the car would overheat and crack/warp the cylinder head. which happened.... a LOT.

just another example of holdens ingenuity. lol. they seem to be really good at taking other peoples tech and just throwing it into a car body and have a "lets see what happens" kind of attitude.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
"For example; the jump from vy - vz included the change from the ecotec engine (producing 152kw i believe?) to the change of the alloytec (producing 190kw, but using less fuel) but suttle changes including revised tail lights, changed headlights and dash changes. "

If it helps, the buick engine was replaced with Ecotec in the VS which was 152kw @ the fly, up until VY like you said, but the VZ's are 175kw standard, the SV6's are 190kw.. Then the VE's are 210kw or something like that.. Not sure on that one.

the holden 3800 was replaced by the ecotech V6, the holden 3800 is a buick derived engine, they were not built by buick they were built here in australia by holden

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Have you tried contacting Holden themselves? Im sure they would have some sort of information pack they could send out that would have maybe some useful information in it. Or possibly get intouch with Lang Lang, see if they have any information they can give you about the testing of cars etc?