Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore IRS question, Rear control arms

Rocking_along

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS ute
Hey guys the rear control arms for the commodores, at the bottom of the control arm some of them only having a mounting point for the rear shock and others have the mounting point for the rear shock and another point where some tie rod goes from the control arm to the subframe, can someone tell me which models have this or whatever? My 2005 VZ SS ute doesnt have the other mounting point for the tie rod bar to the subframe but this VZ sedan does, is it only sedans that have this extra part on the bottom of the rear control arm or what?

Any help appreciated, thanks

Rocking_along

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS ute
So from what Iv heard, Utes and wagons have the same rear end, and only the Sedans have theses camber tie rods and the Sedan rear subframe is different too.

First picture is what the rear control arm on my 2005 VZ SS UTE looks like

IMG_4182_zpsbac2d47a.jpg

This picture is a VZ (Dunno what year and if its a Sedan or not) Rear control arm

IMG_4183_zps0e8ce527.jpg

How come my control arm only has one hole (which is for the shock) but the other control arm has 2 holes, one for the shock and one for those camber adjusting tie rods that go to the subframe? Why doesnt my SS UTE have that?

SS-Z LS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z Ute
1) VU - VZ Utes did not have the rear toe control links fitted (I think the only Holden based utes with them fitted were the Maloo’s)
2) VXII - VZ Sedans and at least VY – VZ Wagons (possibly also VXII) did have the rear toe control links fitted.
3) VT – VZ Sedans and Wagons may have different axles shafts and certainly have lower capacity bearings compared to the VU – VZ utes.
4) The second picture is of a Wagon RH control arm from a model with the rear toe control links fitted.
5) VU-VZ utes use the same shock mounting point as the Wagons, this is different to the mounting point for sedans.
6) Just swapping in a Wagon cradle and control arms from a model with the rear toe control links will reduce the load carrying capacity of the ute due to the factory use of ball bearings for wheel bearings in Sedans and Wagons versus heavier capacity roller bearings in the Ute's, Ute bearings can be fitted to the Wagon Control Arm restoring the load carrying capacity.
7) Why not? Most likely penny pinching by Holden.

Cheers
Jamie

Last edited:

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
What you are referring to is called CONTROL LINK REAR SUSPENSION.When we had a new VX11 wagon it had it.Its got sweet FA to do with adjusting the camber .Ive got the original VX sales brochure in front of me and it rambles on about how the Control Link holds the rear suspension in check when DECELERATING and negotiating a bend.
If you are able to get your hands on one its got diagrams,explains how it works etc,etc
But I think it must help with the camber some how as you can always tell a VT to a VX,Y,Z wagon from behind while following on the road ,just have to look at the rather large negative camber especially if carrying a bit of weight

gluten3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY L67
1) VU - VZ Utes did not have the rear toe control links fitted (I think the only Holden based utes with them fitted were the Maloo’s)
2) VXII - VZ Sedans and at least VY – VZ Wagons (possibly also VXII) did have the rear toe control links fitted.
3) VT – VZ Sedans and Wagons may have different axles shafts and certainly have lower capacity bearings compared to the VU – VZ utes.
4) The second picture is of a Wagon RH control arm from a model with the rear toe control links fitted.
5) VU-VZ utes use the same shock mounting point as the Wagons, this is different to the mounting point for sedans.
6) Just swapping in a Wagon cradle and control arms from a model with the rear toe control links will reduce the load carrying capacity of the ute due to the factory use of ball bearings for wheel bearings in Sedans and Wagons versus heavier capacity roller bearings in the Ute's, Ute bearings can be fitted to the Wagon Control Arm restoring the load carrying capacity.
7) Why not? Most likely penny pinching by Holden.

Cheers
Jamie
Apart from bean counter penny pinching, the toe links could be a problem in standard utes because of extra suspension travel. The semi-trailing arm and toe control links follow different arcs, so bushes will be chewed out if pushed too far.
Would be okay in a Maloo (15 mm lower), hence less travel.

Kayne_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy
Anyone know if a vy wagon rear control arm will fit in a vu Ute ??

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Anyone know if a vy wagon rear control arm will fit in a vu Ute ??
utes and wagons vu - vz share the same so called "chassis" length which is slightly longer than vt - vz sedans

Reactions: Lex