Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore Name Sentenced To Death

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Recent statements on Holden commercials have stated "Holden is here to stay." The latest CEO indicates an intention to get Holden back on top of the market by 2020. To me, that at least suggests that they intend to keep the brand name. And if Opels can sell in the UK as Vauxhalls, why can't they sell in Aus as Holdens? "Even if Commodore numbers are removed from total Holden sales, there are considerable sales of other imported Holden models that have nothing more than badges applied. The reason some of those models don't sell well isn't because they are Holdens, it's because they are inferior to their competition or are nearing the end of their life cycle, but collectively, they still total a considerable number. Do you really think changing the brand name and badges will improve their fortunes here?

Think about this. Assume you are right and the name dies. We would then be faced with former Holden dealerships being converted to who knows what? but possibly Chevrolet. We enter the yard and are faced with some of the current models which won't have run their course by 2017, such as the last Captivas, the Barina, Malibu (unlikely - I think it will disappear before then due to dismal sales), Colorado. Only now they are Chevrolets. Chev Barina - who'd buy that? It's the Aveo overseas, so do we also dump all the model names as well as the brand?

The loss of the Commodore will be difficult enough for the traditional buyers to absorb. Kicking out all identifiable model designations will be a bridge too far.

You suggest that brand proliferation will create unnecessary duplication and costs. It's model proliferation that creates those problems and our models will all be common to larger overseas markets.

I'll stand by my view. The brand Holden will stay. It won't be trading on what was, it will be trading on buyer loyalty built up over six decades. It's a name that still has relevance to Australia and the company knows it.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Recent statements on Holden commercials have stated "Holden is here to stay." The latest CEO indicates an intention to get Holden back on top of the market by 2020. To me, that at least suggests that they intend to keep the brand name. And if Opels can sell in the UK as Vauxhalls, why can't they sell in Aus as Holdens? "Even if Commodore numbers are removed from total Holden sales, there are considerable sales of other imported Holden models that have nothing more than badges applied. The reason some of those models don't sell well isn't because they are Holdens, it's because they are inferior to their competition or are nearing the end of their life cycle, but collectively, they still total a considerable number. Do you really think changing the brand name and badges will improve their fortunes here?

Think about this. Assume you are right and the name dies. We would then be faced with former Holden dealerships being converted to who knows what? but possibly Chevrolet. We enter the yard and are faced with some of the current models which won't have run their course by 2017, such as the last Captivas, the Barina, Malibu (unlikely - I think it will disappear before then due to dismal sales), Colorado. Only now they are Chevrolets. Chev Barina - who'd buy that? It's the Aveo overseas, so do we also dump all the model names as well as the brand?

The loss of the Commodore will be difficult enough for the traditional buyers to absorb. Kicking out all identifiable model designations will be a bridge too far.

You suggest that brand proliferation will create unnecessary duplication and costs. It's model proliferation that creates those problems and our models will all be common to larger overseas markets.

I'll stand by my view. The brand Holden will stay. It won't be trading on what was, it will be trading on buyer loyalty built up over six decades. It's a name that still has relevance to Australia and the company knows it.

Yep that's all true, and I guess either has been or will be looked at in the financial analysis of 'what to do next'. Already Toyota Corolla name has been kept for Aussie market (In Japan and EU hatch is called the Auris), and The Nissan Pulsar bage is also unique to Australia. Maybe the beancounters have already decided after analysing the situation to keep the Holden name because it will be more costly to change it to GM/Chev/Opel/Vauxhall or whatever due to decreased sales resulting from buyer confusion. What is interesting, once the Commodore goes, the Barina will become GMHs longest running name plate! (Next year, very first barinas eligible for historic rego! lol!)

As a thought, on a semi-serious note....could GMH resurrect older nameplates? Corolla competitor could be called the Gemini; Mid-size car could be called the Torana/Camira/Vectra; and so on? 4wd Vauxhall Insignia Turbo liftback could make for an awesome Torana SS ;)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The subject of resurrection of old names has been discussed elsewhere and it creates a bit of feeling on the forum. Some here are adamant that old names should stay "old" and never be resurrected. Even the Monaro reincarnation met with resistance and reviving the Torana has also been discussed. It really comes down to what the name means and whether it was "iconic" enough to revive. Monaro certainly was IMO, and perhaps Torana could enjoy a second life. But Camira? No, that one carries too much baggage for all the wrong reasons. Great car ruined by appalling build quality and propensity to rust. Gemini? Perhaps - it wasn't unique to Australia. I think it was the Gemini in Japan too. Barina could stay - there have been a couple of really good Barina models, (XC especially). The funny thing about the Barina name is that it was the only Euro to get an Aussie nameplate. The others retained their Euro names (Vectra, Astra, Tigra, Calibra, Combo etc) and were successful here.

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
It will be interesting to see what name they come up with , I'm just pleased to read that, more than likely to be sourced from Europe , that could also mean built in Serbia , or Romania , not that that's a bad thing .

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
nfl.jpg hotdog.jpg bear.jpg & ?

soccer.jpg sauerkraut.jpg shepherd.jpg & ?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Well done monkey , that pretty much sums up my own view ,I would rather watch a game of soccer , with a plate of bratwurst and sour kraut , and take my german shepherd for a run , the European's do things so much better .

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
If the replacement large car in the GM range from 2017 is FWD I don't want it called a Commodore, it would be sacrilege to the Commodore name to be on a FWD. When the RWD Commodore is retired, the name should be too.

I agree. Ford is retiring the Falcon name.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
They should retire the name when they finish making v8 rwd sedans in Australia, don't disgrace the name with cheaply/poorly built asian cars with chev badges.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Recent statements on Holden commercials have stated "Holden is here to stay." The latest CEO indicates an intention to get Holden back on top of the market by 2020. To me, that at least suggests that they intend to keep the brand name.

TBH that has as much credibility as Mike Deveraux saying right up to the start of this year that "no decision has been made to cease manufacturing in Australia". It was out and out bullshit. The decision was made a long time ago and the only blank to fill in was "When"

And if Opels can sell in the UK as Vauxhalls, why can't they sell in Aus as Holdens?

Because they are priced out of the segment here for reasons that are beyond me. Further, the recent Opel debarcle defied belief. What a disaster - from the biggest auto maker in the world :eek: Word is that Opel is coming back under the Holden banner though.

"Even if Commodore numbers are removed from total Holden sales, there are considerable sales of other imported Holden models that have nothing more than badges applied. The reason some of those models don't sell well isn't because they are Holdens, it's because they are inferior to their competition or are nearing the end of their life cycle, but collectively, they still total a considerable number. Do you really think changing the brand name and badges will improve their fortunes here?

Correct.

My bet is that dealerships will be converted over to "GM" in the 3 years post 2017 with various sub brands attached. Near certain that the Holden name will be phased out but not for some time.

did someone say cadillac?

Coming to a "GM" dealership near you in 2017/18 ;)