Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore nameplate to remain in Holden lineup

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Commodore is not a failure in Aussie but it's uneconomic to manufacture in Australia for a world market or that is what GM want you to believe anyway.

I think sales stats wouldn't look so rosy if you were to compare the sales numbers on a world basis.

I think a big issue is that GM doesn't want a flagship V8 model in the US built anywhere other than the US. Re-badging a Holden as a Chev or Pontiac in the US was never going to work.

The US economy has been hurting for years and I think someone has seen the light that outsourcing products to the rest of the world doesn't work and hence the reason that they are starting to increase local (US) production in favour of importing. Just look at all the trouble Boeing has had with the 787 Dreamliner, the majority of issues have been with components that were outsourced around the world.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Ok then we change nothing and stick with the current setup, end of thread :thumbsup:

nooooo, you just don't copy stuff from someone who is doing worse than you - you look at market leaders or try and predict what can work in the future and move in that direction.

Standing still is what saw GM decline and the new GM is hoping to turn that around.

I'd be suggesting you look at someone like Hyundai who is having unprecedented success in turning around their sales, their cars and most importantly their brand image.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
nooooo, you just don't copy stuff from someone who is doing worse than you - you look at market leaders or try and predict what can work in the future and move in that direction.

Standing still is what saw GM decline and the new GM is hoping to turn that around.

I'd be suggesting you look at someone like Hyundai who is having unprecedented success in turning around their sales, their cars and most importantly their brand image.
How many overhead cam V8 RWD cars do Hyundai have :p

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
How many overhead cam V8 RWD cars do Hyundai have :p

does that matter?

Hyundai had a crappy sub-par product that they turned around, as a result they are making buckets of money.

This is something GM can do, they don't need to do it in the same segments - but they'd be foolish to ignore what has worked.

When I hear people talking Hyundai today you hear them talk about good quality, styling etc - the global image and the product has changed, evolved and adapted.

Successful Brand Turnarounds Require Fearless Moves | CMO Strategy - Advertising Age

Hyundai's "guaranteed" offer to shell-shocked consumers in early 2009 was gutsy, revolutionary and hugely risky: Buy one of our cars, and if you lose your job in the next year, we'll let you return it. Unlike the typical "0% APR" deals and tent sales that were clearly falling flat, Hyundai responded to the deep fear in the hearts and minds of the buying public with a simple message: "We're all in this together." Hyundai listened to customers about their biggest fears, expeditiously addressed those fears in a contextually relevant way, stole away first-mover advantage from U.S. automakers and now has been given the green light to focus on quality as they move up the relevance food chain. Hyundai's executive leadership team listened, acted decisively, took a big swing, built upon momentum earned and have not taken their "foot off the gas pedal" since. Q1 sales are already up 36% from a year ago, and corporate reputation gains have helped this customer-led brand-pivot result in a win-win relationship for both customers and the brand.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/2014...-a-failing-brand-3-vital-lessons-from-hyundai

How do you go from being synonymous with shoddy, sub-par engineering to becoming a Top 100 Global Brand? You might want to ask Hyundai. Although to some it may appear that the 46-year-old car-maker’s turnaround happened overnight, in reality, it took more than ten years to become an “overnight success.”
How did they do it? As with any sustainable change, it had to begin internally. In 1986, Hyundai successfully entered the U.S. car market with its economically priced $4,995 Excel. Because the price point was perfect for the thrifty consumer, sales outpaced expectations. However, it eventually became clear that the cars were poor in quality and in need of constant repair. Hyundai’s focus on churning out inexpensive cars quickly, established the company as a cheap brand—and one whose customer base began to just as quickly disappear. Rather than bow out of the competition, the carmaker looked at how it could improve its product first, and image second.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
One I know of, two variants, engine is called Tau and is in the Genesis (Equus / Grandeur). MPi and GDi.
Awesome setup I really like the genesis, not RWD or overhead cam tho.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
No seriously it is RWD and OHC.
I'll conceed overhead cam I may be wrong but I was under the impression the V8 model was all wheel drive.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
What are people willing to pay for this car?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I'll conceed overhead cam I may be wrong but I was under the impression the V8 model was all wheel drive.

You may be correct, to date the R-Spec has been RWD and not really a performer against a stock VE SS. Also still handles like a Hyundai. But hey, it looks good and has most people I know fooled into thinking it's better than any Commie, made in Korea yet sold for $30k more than a VF SSV Redline.
My old man has had the last two iterations of the Grandeur (FWD) and champions Hyundai world domination like its the State of fricken Origin.
At the moment Holden wins on so many fronts, shits me that local defeat is inevitable.

What are people willing to pay for this car?

What, the next Holden or the V8 Hyundai?