Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

commodore r.i.p?

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
The Opel in in the UK is surprisingly called an Omega, but they're not really commodores anymore, if you look closely though you can pick the VX handles and rear pillar design.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I have only had one BA fairmont in my possession and well lets just say it had pretty lights on its dashboard 90% of the time I had it, haven't had a VY on the otherhand so can't really comment.

So your saying you had issues with it? Show me one car that no one has ever had issues with?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The Opel in in the UK is surprisingly called an Omega, but they're not really commodores anymore, if you look closely though you can pick the VX handles and rear pillar design.

The Omega is the name given to the VT style Commodore in Europe, but I was thinking of the earlier models. They were'nt Omegas but I can't think of what they were called in Britain.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
So your saying you had issues with it? Show me one car that no one has ever had issues with?

fair call, but not all issues are created equal.

also Calaber are you thinking of the Carlton or Belmont?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
fair call, but not all issues are created equal.

also Calaber are you thinking of the Carlton or Belmont?

Yeah, that's it. I think the Carlton was around the vintage of the VP - there was a Lotus Carlton that went like stink. I've heard of the Belmont but can't think when it was offered in Britain. Either way, I think the Commodore name was either not used, or only for a very short time in the UK. Perhaps it was Carlton from day 1?

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
wow that lotus carlton looks awesome.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Falcon is due to become FWD in the near future. Am I right in saying that the FG will be the last RWD aussie built Falcon? Its a shame. As much as I am a Holden fan, I think the competition with Falcon is very healthy for Holden. Without it, it will be a one horse race and there is a chance that people will move away from our desirable RWD large cars. I hope Holden will always have a RWD car in its lineup. With people moving away from larger cars, I can see them resurrecting the Torana nameplate and phasing out the Commodore. If the Torana was a RWD medium sized car then I'd buy it.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Falcon is due to become FWD in the near future. Am I right in saying that the FG will be the last RWD aussie built Falcon? Its a shame. As much as I am a Holden fan, I think the competition with Falcon is very healthy for Holden. Without it, it will be a one horse race and there is a chance that people will move away from our desirable RWD large cars. I hope Holden will always have a RWD car in its lineup. With people moving away from larger cars, I can see them resurrecting the Torana nameplate and phasing out the Commodore. If the Torana was a RWD medium sized car then I'd buy it.

Hingo

I think within five to seven years, you will see Ford and Holden slugging away at each other with FWD cars as their major sellers. Holden will only make RWD as long as it is economical to do so and that will require good export markets - Australia alone will never again support large RWD cars in the sort of numbers it has in the past.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
So essentially Holden need to create a medium sized RWD car to compete with the likes of a BMW 3 Series. I think its possible. They need to be careful when resurrecting the Torana nameplate because they wouldn't want to tarnish its name by being a FWD buzz box. I have no interest in FWD cars. I am not a fan of FWD handling, in particular their poor turning circles.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
So essentially Holden need to create a medium sized RWD car to compete with the likes of a BMW 3 Series. I think its possible. They need to be careful when resurrecting the Torana nameplate because they wouldn't want to tarnish its name by being a FWD buzz box. I have no interest in FWD cars. I am not a fan of FWD handling, in particular their poor turning circles.

Even better would be a medium sized AWD car to compete with the japanese market. I would love the option of say the new cruze with AWD and a great pokey 2.* turbo setup.