Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

commodore r.i.p?

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
hi all hope everyone is good,good. will holden every kill off the commodore like they did kingswood, torana? do all cars have a time life? and sorry to bring up fords but would they kill the falcon?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Would they kill the falcon ? I hope so, but if people keep buying them they will probably keep on selling the ugly things.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
they will keep the commodore unless they come up with something that sells better. which i doubt they ever will.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The Commodore nameplate will eventually be phased out, because every name has a use by date.

Ultimately, it will be the market that decides when a name is due to die, by the number of cars sold. Falcon is likely to be retained due to its significance to Ford, but it won't be Australian after the FG facelift. They are only selling about 2200 per month and the break even point must be very close with those numbers. I reckon they will keep the name on a local version of a "world car" yet to be introduced.

Commodore is doing better at around 3300 per month plus exports, but the exports have recently suffered badly, even in the Middle East. Once sales of the existing sized Commodore fall to uneconomical levels, the name will probably die off like so many other Holden names over the years. Who knows - perhaps Cruze (yuk!) or whatever they call the Australian produced Cruze from 2010/11 will become the next long life nameplate to replace Commodore.

The Commodore nameplate originated from Germany with a model that preceded our VB, but died out around the early 80's in Europe. Falcon originated in the States in 1959, but died out there in about 1968. For some reason, we tend to hang onto names a lot longer than other markets.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
hi all hope everyone is good,good. will holden every kill off the commodore like they did kingswood, torana? do all cars have a time life? and sorry to bring up fords but would they kill the falcon?

Falcon nameplate will be phased out in the coming years. I still have a close friend who is an engine engineer for Ford who can't believe the changes made to a few things to keep the I6 in production.

Would they kill the falcon ? I hope so, but if people keep buying them they will probably keep on selling the ugly things.

Ugly, compared to what? They certainly look better then the current Commodore model, heck the BA and BF are as good as a car if not better than the same model commodore.

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
ok thanks, ok was the european one the Opel? not sure if correct spelling but any who, i have seen some people on youtube call them that. and thanks i hoped someone would understand the question i was asking. dang maybe i should have left it all original then maybe could have got something then lol never sell....

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Falcon nameplate will be phased out in the coming years. I still have a close friend who is an engine engineer for Ford who can't believe the changes made to a few things to keep the I6 in production.

Ugly, compared to what? They certainly look better then the current Commodore model, heck the BA and BF are as good as a car if not better than the same model commodore.

So you reckon BA is about as good as a VY?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
So you reckon BA is about as good as a VY?

BA and BF are as good, not about as good, as the VY/VZ, I have owned both a BA XR8 and BF XR6 and loved them both.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I have only had one BA fairmont in my possession and well lets just say it had pretty lights on its dashboard 90% of the time I had it, haven't had a VY on the otherhand so can't really comment.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
ok thanks, ok was the european one the Opel? not sure if correct spelling but any who, i have seen some people on youtube call them that. and thanks i hoped someone would understand the question i was asking. dang maybe i should have left it all original then maybe could have got something then lol never sell....

Yes, the Commodore was originally the Opel Commodore. I think it was also sold in the UK as a Vauxhall, but I'm not sure if it was called the Commodore over there or some other name.

For a VB to really be worth anything, it would need to be immaculate and ideally, an SL/E with a 5 litre manual. They were very rare. Base models like your six cylinder SL really don't fetch much and would take a long time to appreciate.