Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore space saver wheel

FCV8

Reaction score
Hi guys. What is the smallest commodore space saver wheel availablewith a 120mm pcd ? Do they make a 15" space saver?
Cheers Glenn

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
rare as chook poop 15x4 chaser by holden although methinks more like a myth....another option is 15x4 chaser/front runer made by eastern wheelworks

ve spacesaver easiest to find but 16" heavy as hell.

or if into lightweight 17x4 monaro spacesaver,some HSV had similar spacesavers but think most just had extra 18x8 painted yellow???

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
rare as chook poop 15x4 chaser by holden although methinks more like a myth....another option is 15x4 chaser/front runer made by eastern wheelworks

ve spacesaver easiest to find but 16" heavy as hell.

or if into lightweight 17x4 monaro spacesaver,some HSV had similar spacesavers but think most just had extra 18x8 painted yellow???

I haven't seen the 15X4 steel wheel....I have seen the 17X4 Monaro space saver, that used to be put into the export Monaros from the factory....this was way back in 2003, when Holden had issues with their tyre machine....Was wrecking tyres.....Holden out sourced the fitting to a place I worked, so I got to see what was available....

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Got alloy monaro spacesavers $50ea years ago for gtr as it had custom commo pattern twin piston 330mm discs up front.

Now in vp ute for weight saving although only got one,NFI where 2nd spacesaver is now.

Saw another on gumtree but dude wanted $300 for one,too steep IMO but ve spacesaver is heavy

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My CV8 has the 15x4 steel space saver which is fitted with what looks like the rear tyre on a dirt bike. This tyre has never been used, and is 15 years old, and I would be very wary of putting it into use, as I usually chuck a real spare wheel in the boot for an occasional trip, but that leaves little room for anything else.

I have been quoted $120 for a 165/80x15 (VW Beetle) tyre which may fit the rim, and into the boot-well.

Has anyone else put a real tyre on a similar space saver, and fitted it in the boot-well successfully ?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
...... and the $85 answer to my question is a 165/80x15-87T which fits in the boot wheel well, and is the same rolling diameter as a 245/40x18 tyre.
So, no need now for filling the boot with a full size spare. Double :).

I had posted this question earlier ..... https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/v2-monaro-spare-wheel.273119/#post-2986896 but for some reason could not find the thread the other day.

For those who posted comments back then, the original space saver would have had the grip of a cat on a slippery-dip ........ I was not joking about the tread pattern, it looked like a worn-out dirt bike tyre .......... I have had 1 flat tyre in the last 20 years, which was in the home garage, just getting a jack under it in the right place was a major pain ............ and when I go touring in the ute, I always take 2 spares, in accordance with Murphy's Law.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
You mean like this.....
Luckily, I don't have any experience in how a space saver would handle. The tread pattern was enough to make you avert your eyes, replace the carpet and shut the boot.
Good advice is that you do not put them on the front, upsets the ABS (along with other things shown in that video,) so that a flat front means that the rear wheel is moved to the front and the space saver put on the rear, ie : an additional wheel change, inconvenient to say the least. And, after 100 miles, a space saver is considered bin quality.

Incidentally, any VZ Monaro owners tried putting a full size wheel in the boot ? How does that go ?

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
You mean like this.....

LOL at the four space saver testing. Although next time you see a BMW i3, look at the wheels, they are not that different to that test, to aid rolling resistance.