Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore SVZ

T

teddyw

Hi guys,

I am on the market looking to buy a new commodore and Holden currently is promoting the SVZ model. Had a look at it and test drove it, my first impression is that I like the car. I have not really kept in touch with the developments in commodores since I last bought the 50th anniversary model. Although I have quickly browsed through the messages posted in this forum, can I just ask generally whether anybody knows more expertly about the SVZ (any major problems with the VZ? for example, engine or brakes? I used to have quite a bit of brake shudder problems with the 50 anniv model) and what are your views about this current offer as a good purchase?

Thanks a lot.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
not sure about many problems, good deal for the price, $1k cheaper than the base model plus $3.5 or $5k of extras. i think the main idea for these special is to clear excess stock? can someone correct me on that

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black CDTi Astra 6sp manual
G'day teddyw,

I've seen the SVZ up close and whilst I have to admit they are feature packed, you still can't go past the SV6.

I don't like the way the SVZ has bits 'tacked' on from the various models of VZ's, such as the Calais front fog-lights, SV6/SV8 rear spoiler, splashes of leather here and there.

Not sure of your circumstances, but you can easily buy a second-hand or even maybe a demo SV6 for the same money.

The 190 alloytec donk makes a big difference over the 172 kw engine and they leather steering-wheel and classy but sports orientated interiors are hard to go past. The 190's are very torquey bottom-end.

I've had a bad transmission fluid leak, split power steering hose (near the radiator) and had to have a rear hand-brake adjustment as a distinct squeak could be heard when driving thru tunnel (which I might add I had to pay for as Holden claimed this isn't under warranty) and my fuel guage is rubbish, 400kms for the 1/2 of the tank and according to the guage I only get 100kms on the bottom half of the tank.

After all this is still a good car considering it's had a hard life and spent many kms on unsealed roads.

I'd go the SV6 anyday over a SVZ.

Just my 2cents worth.

rgds

Tom/WA

Last edited:

nightmare

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
twb1979 said:
G'day teddyw,

and my fuel guage is rubbish, 400kms for the 1/2 of the tank and according to the guage I only get 100kms on the bottom half of the tank.

Have you had the software upgrade done on it? Bastards broke the cover ontop of the steering wheel from behind when they did it on my dads SV6. BTW any other guys with VZs check at night all the lights inside light up (power windows controlers AC button) have had a few which dont work.

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
G'day nightmare,

I'm scared to get Holden to look at my fuel-guage for the fear of making it worse! I've been reading some of the horror stories on this forum.

For those of you who know Jurien Bay in WA, we left there heading towards Perth with a bit over half a tank and by the time we were near Gingin the car was running on vapour according to the guage!

Being a Michael Schumacher wanna-be the active-select 5 speed transmission is good fun, another reason to buy an SV6 over an SVZ.

rgds

Tom/WA

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
HI Nightmare

Bought an SV6 almost a year ago, only beef i have had is ive had two speakers replaced (under warranty) cracked power steering hose near my radiator and a fuel gauge that doesnt know how much fuel is in the tank. 6 spd has been great, no problems with it yet and the 190 donk is pretty good too. Def go a SV6 over the SVZ

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I reckon hold out a bit longer for the VE Commodore to come out, sure it'll cost more and will have its own set of problems, but it'll be the platform they use for probably the next 8 years, VZ is essentially underneith a VT like your 50th anniversary, only with different drivetrain/components/styling..

That's just my opinion anyway, and besides the executive model VE will have the 190kW version of the alloytech as standard (not the 170kW version like SVZ) anyway so you'd be getting more power (but the land-boat needs it I suppose).. in the end it's up to you, SVZ is a great way to get lots of things for cheap, if that's what you're after go for that, if you want cutting edge wait for the VE (if you're going to sell the SVZ in a few years anyway, then just get it now, then wait for Zeta's bugs to be ironed out)

Note: Zeta is the name of the platform VE and future models after it is called

You can see lots of VE images here: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=32329

PS: Something else to consider may be resale value

Still, VZ is a very nice car!

nightmare

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
highendrev said:
Def go a SV6 over the SVZ

Anyday mate the SV6 looks alot better too. And the 5 speed auto gearbox is awesome. They should of taken the paddle design from porshe and put it on the wheel(yes on the wheel) with up and down on each side.

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
teddyw,

Not sure what part of Australia your in, but Avis/Budget rentals in WA now have SV6's and Acclaims that can be hired.

This is only a new thing over here and previously the only models you could hire were the standard exec's and Statesmans.

I've seen a few quicksilver and impulse blue SV6's getting about (easy distinguishable by the barcodes on the windows).

Might be worth renting one for a weekend a taking it for a decent thrash, and push it to it's limits and drive it as hard as you want something you can't do with a car salesman sitting in the passenger seat, although when I bought mine last year the guy egged me to 200km/h!..

Another thing I hate about the new SV6's is Holden no longer putting the alloytec190 badges on the fenders on the SV6's or any new VZ platform models. It's just cheap and nasty and makes the SV6 side-on resemble a VZ Lumina.

cheers

Tom/WA

uteman

Ford Rules
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 Ute
dont do it

teddyw
Buy a vz if you want s@*t after sales service,a faulty fuel gauge 7 times returned to dealer to try to fix,squealing brakes that "SHOULD BE OK IT DIDNT HAPPEN FOR US" that was the dealer response. This is the 3rd new holden i have owned the 1st that the windscreen has not leaked. If you must buy a holden try to get something on paper that if you have issues with the troubles above, you will recieve a refund. I wish i knew then what i know now. By the way my vz is a s pack auto ute 10/04 model.