Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore VE designers are C@CK's

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
Okay Just got back to Sydney from Phillip Island but my VE UTE did not , its still down there waiting for yet another expensive fuel pump replacement.
Went down there to do two track days on my motorcycle so with a lot of gear.
I now have to do the trip again fly down and drive back taking more time off work boss is so stoked....NOT!
Its bad enough that it failed again after only two years apparently they are supposed to last 100,000 k my OEM replacement didn't last 10,000 .Yes out of warranty .
Not only is this unacceptable but from a design point Holden's decision to make access to the combined fuel filter/pump so difficult and expensive it beggars belief .
In past models there was an access panel through the ute's bed now you have to drop the tank .
To drop the tank the whole exhaust and drive shaft must be removed apron 5 hours in labour
Thanks again Holden designers you suck!

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi
I was reading a article, l think jc, same problem. This happened a few years ago. Turned out it was a bad wire connection.
Back when it happened was a $1000.00. 3 pumps later they (holden) found the problem. He only had to pay once. Warranty covered the other 2 times. But not the inconvenience.
Check the wiring first.
Hope this helps you.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Doesn’t sound like it’s a common problem. Wouldn’t say Holden engineers suck. The early ve’s are 12 years old now, and if that’s the only issue you’ve had you’re probably doing alright.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
That’s not the worst. Try having a land rover disco3.

Nearly 5k to replace the vvturbo actuator which is like a £20 part.

And 20k to replace an engine as the whole body has to come off. I gave up and sold it for spares

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That’s not the worst. Try having a land rover disco3.

Nearly 5k to replace the vvturbo actuator which is like a £20 part.

And 20k to replace an engine as the whole body has to come off. I gave up and sold it for spares
Wow. I was offered a blown up 2008 range rover turbo diesel v6 last year for $2k by one of my neighbours. I was tempted at the time but it sounded like an absolute nightmare to get parts for so I gave it a miss. Glad I did!

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
I still stand by my rant about the designers why would you not design an easy access to filter and pump.
There was a time when you could do a lot of maintenance yourself now service fee revenue seems to be on the agenda's of manufactures design brief .
Recently I replaced the clutch pressure plate and flywheel , the slave cylinder is inside the bell housing where it is constantly subjected to heat
It was pretty much shagged as well so upgraded it and installed braided lines as they were toasted .

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
it is not only Holden

Honda Accord V6.... engine out to replace the spark plugs
(on the rear bank) so my brother sold his... running on 4 cylinders
(2 of the exxie platinum 100,000 km plugs died at 75k) not happy Jan

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I agree with OP.....shitty engineering to have to go to that extent to replace a fuel pump.

But this.....

Honda Accord V6.... engine out to replace the spark plugs

WTF ????

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Cars are pretty disposable these days unfortunately. That one surprises me about the honda though! They're generally pretty well engineered!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It really is stupidity. The thing that pisses me off about it is that it is done deliberately. They want you to drive it for a few years then give up on it and buy a new one.
Great business if people are dum enough to fall for it.