Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore VT only starts when I press the button on the key to deactivate the alarm, even though the alarm has already been deactivated previously.

Alexandre Perrotto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX
Hello everyone and I come to ask for help, I live in Brazil, I have a 1999 Chevrolet Omega CD 3.8, in Australia it would be the Holden Commodore VT 3.8 model, my problem is the following, the car is parked with the alarm on, I deactivate the alarm, I normally open it the door and put the key in the ignition, everything is also normal, the alarm is deactivated, the dashboard lights come on but when I start it it doesn't do anything, to start the engine I have to press the button to deactivate the alarm again and then the car starts , I already searched the internet and found nothing, so the questions are as follows, has anyone here ever had this problem? If yes, how to resolve it? Thank you all.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
Might be the contact ring around the ignition not making contact with the key fob, or the fob is faulty and not communicating with the bcm. Do you have a spare fob if not go get a spare made up and try that.

Alexandre Perrotto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX
Might be the contact ring around the ignition not making contact with the key fob, or the fob is faulty and not communicating with the bcm. Do you have a spare fob if not go get a spare made up and try that.
Ok, with the ring I'm sure it's making contact, now I'll have to get a new key, because my car, unfortunately, came with just one, but thanks, I'll do that and post the result.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Check the pin on the key hasn’t pushed in. If the key looses contact with the slip ring as it turned, this is exactly what would happen.
Then you press the button and inadvertently tip the key a bit which then re contacts the slip ring.

Problem is either the slip ring or the key head, in particular, the little pin on the keyhead.