Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore VT turns off randomely

Melone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Hey guys,

I am a German backpacker and bought a Commodore from 1998 for my travels. I drove it 200km so far and the engine keeps shutting down during driving, it happened 4 times so far. It just turns off when I press the accelerator and I have to start it again. I sometimes have problems to start the car as well so that I need 3 or 4 attempts to get it started, although this only happens in maybe 10%. The starting motor works then but the engine doesn't fire up. I checked the error codes, but there is no error saved, the engine light just keeps blinking 12 for 'engine is ok'. That is why I think it could be the fuel pump, but I would like to know if you guys got another idea what I could do before I spend hundreds of dollars for a new fuel pump. Thanks a lot.

Marlon

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I am thinking Crank Angle Sensor.
Anyone else got ideas.
crank angle sensor vt - Bing images
Do a search in the Advanced Search Box up there on the right and you may find more info on your problem.
I am no expert on "keeps stopping problems" but I am in the area if you need tools.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
toss some cool water on the crank angle sensor if it starts ....that is possibly the problem

if you cant hear the fuel pump ..... the fuel pump relay is in the engine bay group

if its just the relay .... there are others in that relay cluster the same type ... swap to check the theroy