Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] Commodore VX-VT /// Installing 6x9 Speakers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman WK 03 - LS1
Hello All,

Just finished installing some 6x9's in my VX 2002, much by trial and error. Thought I'd share with everyone and save people some time. There's no step by step that I could find on here that simplified things for us less savvy.

1. Remove back seat bottom part. (Pull two ties where carpet meets seat)
2. Remote back seat back parts (Both are bolted on at the bottom.) Once the bolt is removed these will slot upwards and out.
3. Remove any plastic pins connecting the parcel shelf to the chassis. (Should be 2 on top and 2 in front behind seats).
4. Remove the parcel shelf (you may have to remove a bolt in the center of the parcel shelf if your model has one. Its located under a flap..
5. You should now see just plain metal, with the holes for the 6x9's. Knock the plates out with a rubber mallet if there are plates present.
6. Place a speaker in the hole, and mark out the drill points for mounting. You will need to mark underneath on the other side too. This isn't hard to approximate once you've made the marks on the top. Alternatively you could use a right angled drill.
7. Get in the boot, and drill these holes out.
8. Install your speakers, and use a nut and washer to tighten installation screws from the bottom.
9. Back to the parcel shelf, cut holes about a cm from the outline for the sound to travel through. I used a grinder, as a craft knife wouldn't work for me. You can purchase grilles to cover these holes, though they're ridiculously overpriced here in NZ imho.

Now for the more time consuming part. Along the sides of the car, there are plastic panels which protects the wiring loom. Pull off the small plastic screw covers, (by the rear door as you get in), revealing a few Torx screws. Repeat for the front. There is also a screw in the middle between the front and rear doors.
10. At the bottom of the front seat, there is also a plastic guard which will need to be removed for the loom guard to come off.
11. Pull out the loom guard, (It's one big long bit of plastic. I found it easiest to go through the back door).
12. Cut into the wiring loom tape, to reveal a bunch of intimidating looking wires. Following the diagram I attatched, find and cut your respective cables.
13. Strip and Twist your speaker cables to the positive and negative cables on the loom, and solder together. Best to use heat shrink to cover.
14. Run your speaker cable down the loom, and up to a small hole next to the speaker, down into the boot. Check your speaker works.
15. Put the loom guard back on, and repeat for the opposite side. The drivers side will have an additional screw where the fuel release is, which may need to be removed depending on your model.
16. Replace the parcel shelf, and securing plastic pins.
17. Reinstall the bottom seat, and then the back part of the seat. Ensuring the cable is well hidden.

Wiring_Loom-VK-VL_VN-VT_zps2af9d5a9.gif

This is all pretty much trial and error. Feel free to make suggestions, it no doubt needs a few.

keithy111

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Holden Caprice 2006
Hello All,

Just finished installing some 6x9's in my VX 2002, much by trial and error. Thought I'd share with everyone and save people some time. There's no step by step that I could find on here that simplified things for us less savvy.

1. Remove back seat bottom part. (Pull two ties where carpet meets seat)
2. Remote back seat back parts (Both are bolted on at the bottom.) Once the bolt is removed these will slot upwards and out.
3. Remove any plastic pins connecting the parcel shelf to the chassis. (Should be 2 on top and 2 in front behind seats).
4. Remove the parcel shelf (you may have to remove a bolt in the center of the parcel shelf if your model has one. Its located under a flap..
5. You should now see just plain metal, with the holes for the 6x9's. Knock the plates out with a rubber mallet if there are plates present.
6. Place a speaker in the hole, and mark out the drill points for mounting. You will need to mark underneath on the other side too. This isn't hard to approximate once you've made the marks on the top. Alternatively you could use a right angled drill.
7. Get in the boot, and drill these holes out.
8. Install your speakers, and use a nut and washer to tighten installation screws from the bottom.
9. Back to the parcel shelf, cut holes about a cm from the outline for the sound to travel through. I used a grinder, as a craft knife wouldn't work for me. You can purchase grilles to cover these holes, though they're ridiculously overpriced here in NZ imho.

Now for the more time consuming part. Along the sides of the car, there are plastic panels which protects the wiring loom. Pull off the small plastic screw covers, (by the rear door as you get in), revealing a few Torx screws. Repeat for the front. There is also a screw in the middle between the front and rear doors.
10. At the bottom of the front seat, there is also a plastic guard which will need to be removed for the loom guard to come off.
11. Pull out the loom guard, (It's one big long bit of plastic. I found it easiest to go through the back door).
12. Cut into the wiring loom tape, to reveal a bunch of intimidating looking wires. Following the diagram I attatched, find and cut your respective cables.
13. Strip and Twist your speaker cables to the positive and negative cables on the loom, and solder together. Best to use heat shrink to cover.
14. Run your speaker cable down the loom, and up to a small hole next to the speaker, down into the boot. Check your speaker works.
15. Put the loom guard back on, and repeat for the opposite side. The drivers side will have an additional screw where the fuel release is, which may need to be removed depending on your model.
16. Replace the parcel shelf, and securing plastic pins.
17. Reinstall the bottom seat, and then the back part of the seat. Ensuring the cable is well hidden.

Wiring_Loom-VK-VL_VN-VT_zps2af9d5a9.gif

This is all pretty much trial and error. Feel free to make suggestions, it no doubt needs a few.

Hi man, for a VX commodore which colour wires would be used for the driver side rear speaker... I have been having trouble with it... Does the speaker wires run through the 'plastic guard' underneath the seats?