Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore VZ vs VY engine debate?

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
I would be looking VY. VZ is a better car and the alloytec is more advanced, but with km like you are looking, the ecotecs are proven to last while the alloytec are very hot and miss regardless of how they are maintained.

I agree. The old ecotec can take alot, where the alloytec seems to be much more sensitive. When it comes to it, theres really not a massive difference between the VY and VZ, just the engine and some little things.

A clean VY Calais/Statesman would be the pick over the same priced VZ Executive/Acclaim

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I would be looking VY. VZ is a better car and the alloytec is more advanced, but with km like you are looking, the ecotecs are proven to last while the alloytec are very hot and miss regardless of how they are maintained.

??? I had two alloytecs and neither missed what so ever, nor did either run hot. That said, do the OP - I'd still look at a late VY Calais or a very low km VZ with a known and immaculate service history. The alloytecs do need regular oil changes or you will have far more problems than you will with a Ecotec.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
??? I had two alloytecs and neither missed what so ever, nor did either run hot. That said, do the OP - I'd still look at a late VY Calais or a very low km VZ with a known and immaculate service history. The alloytecs do need regular oil changes or you will have far more problems than you will with a Ecotec.

Thus why I said they are "hit and miss" rather than saying they are crap. :)

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
And the Ecotec isn't ?? , seriously you take your chances regardless of how a car has been maintained

That is correct. Have a look through the VZ and VE sections for threads about alloytec issues. Smoke and chains are words that are common.

Then have a look though VS to VY threads. Most are simply P platers wanting their 6 to sound like a V8.

Ecotec has been around for 18 years, so the later ones are pretty bullet proof.

Still doesn't mean that that getting an ecotec means it will have no issues, but based on the facts, they are far less likely to have issues.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
That is correct. Have a look through the VZ and VE sections for threads about alloytec issues. Smoke and chains are words that are common.

Then have a look though VS to VY threads. Most are simply P platers wanting their 6 to sound like a V8.

Ecotec has been around for 18 years, so the later ones are pretty bullet proof.

Still doesn't mean that that getting an ecotec means it will have no issues, but based on the facts, they are far less likely to have issues.

All very fair points ,but I wonder if in a few more years if the Alloytec will same the same status amongst P- Platers

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Thus why I said they are "hit and miss" rather than saying they are crap. :)

Sorry - i took it to mean they run hot and miss (what you actually wrote)