Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore VZ vs VY engine debate?

guyneedsacar

Reaction score
Members Ride
ferrari
Hey lads, not sure if this is the right section to post this but anyways i need your expert opinions;

Im after a first car and i've been looking at holden commodores, VY, VYII and VZ models, my budget is anything up to $7500 and ive been trying to find a car under 200,000km

Now ive done some research online and many people are saying dont get the VZ because it has alloytech? or something like that? And is much less reliable and you dont "feel the grunt" when you drive one compared to a VY. Is this true? Can anyone explain? Are VZ engines really that bad?

I would much rather get a VZ because they look so much more aesthetic than a VY but after hearing people say this im not sure anymore.

p.s. i currently have my eyes on a VZ lumina which has done around 230,000kms, do you reckon this is too much?

Last edited:

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I'd suggest you look at a Calais. The VZ might be out of your price range, but there are some good VY and VYII's out there.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I've also heard the alloytec isn't as ballsy as the emotec, and the emotec is a lot simpler than the alloytec, something to consider if you work on it yourself, and there's nothing stopping you swapping lights and bumpers over to make the vy look like a vz.
Just my 2c

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

Don't ruin a good story with the truth.

VTSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 A4 227rwkw
Definitely the VY, the VZ alloytec engines suffer from timing chain stretch (big $), ECU failure (big $), BCM failure, coils, cam sensors, and oxygen sensor problems. Parts for the VY will be cheaper, and they are much easier to work on (do it yourself, or pay less labour). And you'll be able to get lower k's within your budget.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I recently was doing research on the same question only for a wagon. The answer I came up with was unfortunately a BF Falcon. Seemed to be cheaper to buy with similar k's with more power and torque than the commodore 6's.

goodie78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 304 / VE SS Manual LPG
I have had both in the past, a VY and VZ crewman. In my opinion, the Ecotec is much better than the Alloytec. The Ecotec produces better low down power, is cheaper to maintain, and cheaper to replace (should you need to). Figures on paper mean nothing. Unfortunately I was t-boned and my VY crewman was written off and replaced with a VZ. The VZ used more fuel, was heaps less responsive and sounded crap with an exhaust on it.

Maybe the VZ SV6 would have more grunt. The Falcon is cheaper to buy and is more responsive, however has worse re-sale and tends to fall apart quicker.

For $6500 you should be able to find a nice VY Calais.

lawso23

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vz
I got vz 05 model alloytech, she goes hard

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I got vz 05 model alloytech, she goes hard

I have had both , and find the Alloytec in my VZ SV6 is a lot smoother more powerful than the Ecotec even with the mods the Ecotec had
Roller rockers
Headers
69mm throttle body
Tune
Exhaust
CAI

And the stock SV6 is a **** load quicker , my only advise is to maintain the Alloytec religiously as I think a lot of people neglect this aspect .

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I would be looking VY. VZ is a better car and the alloytec is more advanced, but with km like you are looking, the ecotecs are proven to last while the alloytec are very hit and miss regardless of how they are maintained.

Last edited: