Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore Wagon Sub Box

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
give me a few more days and i will put up pics of my box im making. it holds 2x 15"s. i finally got around to making it.

VY2ENJOY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Family Truckster
G'Day All

I have a VY wagon and need all the room I can get with 2 dogs and a missus who packs 2 weeks worth of clothes for a 5 day holiday!. So with that in mind I installed one 10inch sub in a 1.0cf box (designed for the sub) and 1 amp, 10inch suits me as I listen to a lot of metal music and not much doof, doof stuff. Dont be put off the 10inch if you buy good quality components and an amp that will take the sub to its safe limits (and further if you are game!) it will piss on your mates cheap mulitple sub, cheap amp set up. The best thing is that it takes up minimal room and I have left enough cable to move it around the cargo bay if need be, to fix it in place I have 2 metal hooks screwed on to the back of the sub box which just hook onto the cargo barrier. Simple and sounds sweet, especially in the back of a wagon.

Enjoy

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
wagon sub box

here we go, i still have to mount the amps and dress up the boxes, but this is the layout. sorry about the quality, i took them about 20mins ago.

Attachments

• Pict0073.jpg
    Pict0073.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,638
  • Pict0077.jpg
    Pict0077.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 2,883
  • Pict0076.jpg
    Pict0076.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,158

stock_vl

wh internationals?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais 3.0L
looks lush man!!
how thicks the wood you using?? are you going to port it?? might be a good idea for some high quality sound! also... cant wait to see that once you carpet it!!

keep up the good work!

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
18mm mdf, biggest i could get without ordering it, im gonna port it, but im gonna play with it sealed first for a while, coz its my first sub setup, and im not gonna go the old carpet route, its getting the brushed aluminium treatment. all over. real sheeting, not crappy fake stickon stuff.

M

mistervr94v6

StealthX said:
Here dude, this isn't my box, not sure who's creation it is :p but they did a good job on it. hope it gives you a good idea. pretty easy to knock up on a saturday though if you have the mdf & power-tools.
i love ur set up man. did u need a drop saw at all?? does it take much to fit the material to the woofer box

F

fatboyvncalaisv8

you cant just "port" a sealed box and expect it to sound better.
you may be lucky and jag it, but ports require some calculating and fine tuning.
plus a sealed box is generally smaller than a ported one.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
pioneer recommends 56 litres per sub, i made the box to around 66 litres, works ok now, but id like to have a play around with porting it, yes, i know it needs calculations, as its my first system, im gonna be learning as i go, even if i end up having to make a new box.

F

fatboyvncalaisv8

porting doesn't sound "better" just a touch louder.
and as in everything you dont get something for nothing....
you do get a bit more SPL, but you loose frequency range.
ie if for eg, your sub sounds great anywhere from 30Hz to 350Hz in a sealed box.
in a ported box it will increase volume slightly, but will then be retricted to 40Hz-260Hz.

this is just an example, but you get what i am trying to say.
the port location, width, length etc, determines the new frequency range of your sub.
if one of those 3 are not correct, it will sound like you stuffed towels in your box.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeh, i get what ur saying, im not gonna just chuck a port in there coz of the hell of it, i work at autobarn and am the tester for our sound offs we hold, the best i've seen is a 146.something and would like to TRY to get something close to that mark in my wagon, some say its impossible, i dont want it straight away, but its a goal id like to get to. and playing around with different things is going to help with my knowledge on setups, give me something to do in my spare time and i will know myself if somethings going to work or not. thanks for the help and info though, i appreciate it. although i havent heard anything about port location affecting the sound output. got any tips or info on that aspect?