Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Have you driven one? They are nice to drive, but still, not enough grunt...

To be fair, no I haven't driven one. On paper they look the goods, but as you say the real world experience can often be different. I actually wish the car had have become a success. It seems to be a quality vehicle but was a victim of the companies circumstances at the time. Maybe these will become the real collectables in the future due to rarity..!

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
A few months ago I was on the look out for a car. I drove the ZB VXR and the Calais Tourer AWD versions. I also test drove a 2017 SSV Redline and a 2016 Calais V. The ZB's were very nice cars to drive and to be in. But they didn't have that "something" that the VF had in abundance. What was that something?? I still can't explain :D

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Too be honest, I've seen an all black one lowered with 5% tint and thought it looked okay. Still would be hard to get me in one. Also the VFS just look better and the interior just look world class!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Sometimes it seems that even the 6.2ltr V8 is underpowered with the mods people do to them :p

So standard power isn’t always a limiting factor to purchase. And a perceived lack of power is one reason why people mod cars.... to get more power than what the factory offered.

As such an AWD VXR with some engine mods surely could end up with heaps of power... the only question is how much can the drive line support or how deep ones pockets are.

When the AWD VXR gets cheap enough to buy and play the mod game with, attitudes to the car may change. And in time the notions of Holden and what’s a true Commodore may have abated (except for the few diehards) so the VXR could be the new power play thing.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
When the AWD VXR gets cheap enough to buy and play the mod game with, attitudes to the car may change. And in time the notions of Holden and what’s a true Commodore may have abated (except for the few diehards) so the VXR could be the new power play thing.
I don't think so, and an example of why is the AWD Magna. The Mistu Oz suspension-tune to that was pretty decent, and it had enough go to keep up with the laggy boy-racers of the time (eg. WRX) while being more comfy & refined (and probably using less juice than an EJ20T Subaruba come to think of it).
Those things never achieved any level of upgradey exceitement though, faded away into the never-never ... and the TF & TJ Magnas were more popular than ZB has been.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Sometimes it seems that even the 6.2ltr V8 is underpowered with the mods people do to them :p

So standard power isn’t always a limiting factor to purchase. And a perceived lack of power is one reason why people mod cars.... to get more power than what the factory offered.

I think its that and the adjustment to any power you do have. If you jump into a much more powerful car, the sensation during acceleration eventually dulls a bit, as you get used to it. Hence you need to upgrade.

That and number based willy waving!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't think so, and an example of why is the AWD Magna. The Mistu Oz suspension-tune to that was pretty decent, and it had enough go to keep up with the laggy boy-racers of the time (eg. WRX) while being more comfy & refined (and probably using less juice than an EJ20T Subaruba come to think of it).
Those things never achieved any level of upgradey exceitement though, faded away into the never-never ... and the TF & TJ Magnas were more popular than ZB has been.
Yeah maybe.

They say past performance is never a guarantee of future profits, and as people are fickle, who knows what will happen in 5 years time.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
who knows what will happen in 5 years time.

Maybe an eCrate motor with a ute tub full of lithium ion cells...
No need for torque management, should be able to delete the 6L80e 'driveline fuse'...