Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Common faults and problems with '05 VZ Calais

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais, 2015 Daytona 675R
Hi all, I'm having a look at a VZ Calais this weekend, and wondering if there is any common problems for the VZ Series that I should keep a keen eye for?

Any common oil leak locations? Body & Electrical issues etc.?

Thanks

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
V6? Cooling system (eg. heater tap, water pump) tends to **** itself around 120-130,000km
I've replaced those and the radiator.
Lot's of people say the engines are prone to sludging too if not regularly serviced.

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
Going on my experience over the last 5 years with 2 Calais, a VY2 L67 and a VZ LS1

Both: Good old steering wheel mounted audio controls. My +vol button broke at 45,000kms but 20 minutes/$100 replaced both sides new.

VY: Clips/latches on storage compartments do break sometimes. Easy fix tho

VY: In-dash cup holders are a bit flimsy. Expensive to replace with new ones.

Super 6 - Lower Intake Manifold gasket. Reasonable job but not too pricey if DIY. Maybe engine mounts?

Alloytec - (Heard of) cooling system / pump / radiator issues. Not sure on the 5 speed autos.

LS1 - Don't know of any common major issues.

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry, V6 Auto. Doesn't sound too bad, I'll definitely have a look at the things. Thanks for the info

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
I have a 05 V6 Calais, done over 325K still going strong, just make sure the service history is available it has been regularly serviced or at least changed the oil, I had the common problems, leaking heater tap, water pump, the O Rings on the top radiator pipe outlet, radiator.

The only problem is the thermostat which is at the back of the motor and a job that will make you learn a few new swear words and a long time, very poor design.

Maybe bonnet gas struts make be weak and not hold up the bonnet, (about $25 on ebay for a pair delivered).

Chrispy

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a 05 V6 Calais, done over 325K still going strong, just make sure the service history is available it has been regularly serviced or at least changed the oil, I had the common problems, leaking heater tap, water pump, the O Rings on the top radiator pipe outlet, radiator.

The only problem is the thermostat which is at the back of the motor and a job that will make you learn a few new swear words and a long time, very poor design.

Maybe bonnet gas struts make be weak and not hold up the bonnet, (about $25 on ebay for a pair delivered).

Thanks mate, car has very low KMs and full service history. Hopefully I'll add a new car to my family this weekend :)

Chapman2233

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
On my car (05 VZ) the radiator went at about 140XXXkms and the water pump just went at 166XXXkms, I think the thermostats are a bit iffy in the VZs as well so keep an eye out for that!

Also my mechanic said the radiator caps in VZ's tend to break alot as well.