Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Common high KM problems?

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by MitchS, Jan 13, 2008.

1. webwombat

webwombat New Member

Members Ride:
    MY10 VE SS-V wagon

but the seat material is coming away from the foam, making the interior look a bit tired - same with mine - more with the drivers seat :(

other problems but all fixed
    1. drivers side power window assembly - replaced
    2. clutch assembly - replaced
    3. Key buttons as rubbers have worn off - not bothered getting it replaced
    4. front sway bar bushes / engine mounts - needs to be replaced soon

2. webwombat

webwombat New Member

Members Ride:
    MY10 VE SS-V wagon
    new engine mounts - what they cost you supply / fitted ?

3. xx1600xx

xx1600xx New Member

Members Ride:
    vt commodore S
    mines got 378000 and is on gas and has no probs what so ever, always used the best oil u can bye at auto barn and have had it for 3 years and havn touchd a thing. also have a vt s with 200000, no probs so far!!

NeddyBear likes this.
  4. Longman

Longman Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
    I bought my Series 1 V6 with 68,000 on the clock, it's got 193,000 now. The only issues really were BCM died once (actually not long after I got it). Aside from that, a small steering leak and that's it. It is still running like a new car, a few suspension creaks, the sway bar links are worn out but I have new ones to fit shortly. Overall though, happy at the moment.

5. Ben Smith

Ben Smith New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden Commodore VT EQUIPE 1999
    Fuel pumps, Water pumps

6. Vince Warne

Vince Warne Member

Members Ride:
    H.b.d vy ute.commodore
    Raidator will blow of its neck at about 250ks my l67has 297ks and had a bad life before I got it with a bit of service and new super charger snout and pully and now I have no problem with car

7. Towcar

Towcar Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina Wagon
    the biggest problem with 200,000km car is that it is 200,000km closer to the end of its life than a 0km car, it is also 200,000km closer to needing major repairs.

That said a car well looked after and services may be OK, but then again it may not.

8. BradVX Equip

BradVX Equip New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Equip

9. BradVX Equip

BradVX Equip New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Equip
    Ultra Tune quoted me $190.00 each(engine mounts). I did the two for $110 myself. Just used a jack and some tenacity.

10. Vince Warne

Vince Warne Member

Members Ride:
    H.b.d vy ute.commodore
    I have 370km on my vu ute normal wear no major probs stupid red paint faded on the other hand my vt l67 just sizzled with no warning it had 300kms and my vy hbd ute has 200kms and is in very good con it's my daily driver so it just goes to show jam don't matter

11. NeddyBear

NeddyBear Veteran Mountain Biker

Members Ride:
    2004 Ford Falcon RTV Ute & 2004 Subaru Outback 2.5
    Approaching 200,000 ks well that would depend wether its 100% original or wether its been well maintained.
    Ours has done 298,000 and purchased at 110,000 and have been extremely lucky but then again I'm a firm believer in preventative maintenance.
    Windscreen fluid bottle, coolant overflow container, fuel pump, water pump, steering rake, heater trap, radiator and all the heater and coolant hoses, thermostat, oxygen sensors, rear cradle bushes, all shocks n springs, most front and rear bushes probably not needed but done, replaced the drivers seat twice, blinker control, tail light bulbs, recovered the ceiling lining, front wheel hubs, all rotors, brake pads, transmission rear seal, engine mounts, transmission mount, alternator regulator, serpentine belt, oils and filters, sparkplugs, most of the sensors except the cam and crank angle ones, stereo, front seat belts, those black trim strips near the bottom of the windows, windscreen wipers rubbers, 12 tyres, the electric window control twice. Have recently rebuilt a low klm power steering pump to replace along with the hoses and fluid holder, injector rebuild. Hope to keep her up until we retire in 10 years but that probably being too hopeful.

12. mdjbags

mdjbags New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Acclaim Wagon
    My vx acclaim wagon at 200k now. Owned it since 40k when it was 1 year old. Did engine mounts about 120k, replace a plastic guide in window mechanism 140k, rear seals about 160k, replaced leaky rocker cover gasket on one side, front bushes at 180k, rotors at 180k, cleaned out phelum chamber at 180k (highly advisable diy boost to engine), replaced ignition lock at 195k, replaced actuator on tailgate door now (200k).Drivers seat electrics went a while back (maybe 150k) and drivers seat structure has collapsed (really should fix that). Just replaced two steel rims that buckled. Very happy with my car. Wrecking spares easily and cheaply available. Its got a few bruises, but it drives and runs well, so many more comfy kms left in it. Im thinking about giving it to my son for his first car, and me "upgrade" to an old VY. When you are on a good thing...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  13. gohrdrgomad

gohrdrgomad Active Member

Members Ride:
    VxCaly57
    A/C system replacement, water pump, tailshaft centre bearing, suspension bushes, wheel bearings, disk rotors, struts n shockies, drivers seat belt and windscreen if left untouched.

14. c2105026

c2105026 Active Member

Members Ride:
    2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
    At bought mine at 234,000. Immediately replaced washer pump, boot lid struts, dashboard bulbs. Also replaced calipers, discs, front control arms, front brake hoses, shocks, springs and castor bushes as matter of precaution.

At 243,000 nothing significant has gone wrong, mechanically only money spent has been servicing. Compression is fine, transmission shifts beautifully. Engine has some leaks I clean off before each pink slip.....

Basically, drives like new car :)

15. shueardm

shueardm Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6 and VT Olympic Edition Wagon
    I know right, they made the Olympic version so much better than the other badges :) PS> My Olympic is blue too, maybe they made blue cars better.
    Seriously though. Yeah, the VT is a great car. Service it and it will service you.

16. eymicky

eymicky New Member

Members Ride:
    Vt
    Few things that's currently on my list to fix within the next month:
    Bad rear main leak
    Manifold gasket leak
    Tensioner needs replacing

Heater core started playing up last month and I bypassed it, regretting not replacing it though with a new one as the Melbourne winter morning drives to work are killing me haha .
    Cars sitting on roughly 294ks

17. John Revill

John Revill Active Member

Members Ride:
    WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
    I had the engine rebuilt at 100,000kms due to piston slap (Sounded like a diesel)
    I had the gearbox replaced at 125,000kms when it lost first gear (Heavy duty replacement)
    I replaced the pulleys and belts at 140,000kms (Bearing gone)
    I had the sump and gasket replace at 155,000kms (Sump was cracked and leaking)
    I replaced the radiator at about 165,000kms (Plastic side tank leaking)
    Between 190,000 and 195,000 I had the waterpump, alternater and starter motor all go on me.

Engine has been services aver 6-9 months at around 5,000km mark.
    Car runs like a dream. No oil leaks, No suspension rattles.

18. Sam_100

Sam_100 Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SV6
    I bought my VXII Berlina in 2004 with 40K on the clock. It now has 255K. Problems I have fixed in that time include
    the steering rack with a reconditioned unit (I had a small leak in the original but replaced in anyway), roof lining (material sagging), plastic noodles on the windows, engine mounts (once only), vacuum actuators on HVAC, front castor bushes, radiator, rear shocks, bonnet struts and a rear seat pocket (passenger fat fingers)

Current problems include the seat trim coming of the foam and solenoid pack for the HVAC (would replace if I knew how to remove the existing one). I fixed my brake shudder problem in Dec last year after about 8 years having to machine the discs every six months. This included AC DELCO discs and DBA slotted rotors. I had my mechanic fit OEM discs.

The car has not let me down and this includes multiple trips to the Gold Coast and Melbourne from Newcastle. I usually get 8.5l/100km on the highway. I don't know why people bagged out the locally made Commodores, they are reliable as any European import if looked after.

19. El_Freddo

El_Freddo New Member

Members Ride:
    VT
    Old thread but I'll throw in my 20c worth ;)

2000 VTII Acclaim v6 auto.
    Km now: ~360k km. 80k km when purchased in '04.

Issues encountered, dates only as km number at that point in time wasn't recorded.

2007/2008 - head unit upgraded to an aftermarket cd/iPod/aux/radio unit. Factory speakers retained and going well still.

2008/2009(?) ABS module replaced. Couldn't afford genuine so went with an aftermarket unit and haven't had any issues since.

2010: fuel pump replaced. Would only drive with MAP disconnected. Service of transmission fluid and filter etc at same time.

2012: Z bar bushes on front suspension

2014: crank angle sensor, aftermarket heater tap

2016: inlet manifold gaskets replaced

2017: all suspension bushes except Z bar bushes. Rear end fitted with camber adjustable bushes.
    New radiator and genuine heater tap

2018: fan belt idler pulleys, second hand tensioner due to that old left hand thread trick - no markings on bolt to suggest it's a left hand thread :mad:
    Dash illumination lights replaced in the instrument cluster and climate controls. Need to do gear selector light on the console as I missed this one.

Really this vehicle is solid, laps up kms at cruise and does well on fuel in the process. Learn to drive them nicely in town with gentle acceleration and it'll do ok too.

Interior has held up pretty well over all.
    Exterior the paint's clear cost is toast on the roof and boot lid. Front headlights are plastic units and have hazed due to the sun :(

All four original hubcaps have departed. Two unaccounted for... Looking for two replacements to make the car look stock again rather than flogged.

A factory heavy duty tow pack was fitted in 2010 second hand. Very handy accessory for us and saved the rear end in a reversing mishap with the mother inlaw at the wheel. The wooden balustrade didn't fair so well :D

We're still on factory shocks and springs - and can't fault the handling. No knocks or bumping noises in the suspension.

Now waiting on the factory head gaskets to let go, it's been a good run!

Also has a miss at idle now and has recently developed a vibration when in drive and stationary. Suspect it could be an engine mount as it doesn't seem to be from the transmission.

Right now trying to work out how to get into the bloody thing as the key fobs are not being responded to and the key isn't working possibly due to vehicle being deadlocked... Fun fun.

Cheers

Bennie

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  20. shueardm

shueardm Active Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6 and VT Olympic Edition Wagon
    If you never wax them this is what happens