Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Common VZ Problems

Lindsayr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Exec Sedan
Hey There,

I am taking my car in to get a service next week and also getting them to do a pre warranty expiration check to check over all warranty items to see if anything needs doing as my warranty expires next month.

I notice there isnt a common VZ problems thread here so was wondering if there is anything that people suggest i ask them to check? Its an 06 VZ Commodore Exec Sedan.

Thanks!

Lindsay

EQUIPED

AM VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe 2005
Hiya, some of the things that I got checked were:
- Window rattle on driver side (something was loose inside)
- Struts
- camber bushes
- any Tech2 updates
- suspension
- check your duplicate key and see if it works; usually the battery is dead if its not used for long so they should be able to fix it within warranty. My key was 'dead' which meant the circuit had to be replaced and I got them to do it for free (usual cost approx. $150)

Am sure there are lots of other things that other members will point out in due time.

Cheers and hope it helps,
AM

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Exterior door handles and glovebox.

The paint was starting to flake away from the door handles. All were replaced under warranty by a local dealer, no issues there.

My glovebox was warped so I got the local dealer to look at it but they argued the previous owner might have put something heavy in it as it wasn't a common issue. So I took it to the dealer I bought the car from when I got it serviced and the said they had seen warped gloveboxes before and replaced it under warranty.

I also had a problem with my rear passenger door, where it didn't line up with the rest of the panels. Both dealers wouldn't cover it under warranty as body panels are only covered until 3000km. The local dealer said they would do it but it would cost a few hours labour.
The dealer I bought the car from said it couldn't be done under warranty but since its a 2 minute job they would do it for free.

The point I'm trying to make is that the inspector makes the call regarding what is covered under warranty. So don't be afraid to go to another dealer if they don't choose to replace everything.

1 tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 1 tonner s pack v6 auto
Gday
I was hoping some members might be able to help me because I am at wits end with my VZ 1 Tonner
So far it has been the worst vehicle that you could own.
Every time I rang our local dealer here in the southern highlands of NSW they just fobbed me off. This dealer has been caught by several people for charging for service that had not been carried out. Charging for new filters , new oil and nothing had been replaced.

I have had the disc's replaced because of warped rotors at 61,000 ks
The Diff had to be rebuilt at 70,000 ks and then the other day the thermostat seized at 83,000 ks. Apparently the early model Alloytecs thermostats were not quite round and then stick shut sending the temp through the roof. Lucky that it didn't do the head gaskets
Holden has not picked up the tab for any of it and I am very ****ed.
The thing that really gets up my nose, is that all the mechanics I talk to tell me that all the problems that I have experienced, are all common.
The vehicle has not been driven hard either as I like my license nor has it carried very heavy loads.
Most of the time it is empty and now the back springs look like they are turning themselves inside out. I will be changing these in the next couple of months.

The problem I was wondering if anybody else has had happened to my son on the weekend.
Traveling from Walhca to Wauhope, the left brake locked, then the right one and then the motor cut out.
This tonner is a v6 auto so it is not like it stalled because he was going too slowly.
He said that it was lucky the motor cut out as this released the brakes and he could then steer it off the road.
After he stopped it, he turned the key off and waited 10 minutes, then everything restarted and away he went. He has driven it for another 1000 ks and no problems.
What the hell went wrong??
I would love to know if anyone else has had similar worries as I have.
Cheers
J

Reaction score
get them to check the fuel warning system, when I had mine fixed holden told me it was a known problem that the distance to empty was was off!

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Warped discs isn't uncommon, I had mine machined at 30K and then again at 45K until I finally had them replaced at 95K with slotted DBAs. At 45K they even told me that both front and rear pads were totally screwed and they offered to replace them. When I asked how much they said (from memory) 400 bucks so I said not to worry and took it somewhere else. They said I MUST use genuine pads or I won't have any warrenty on the brakes. I said it didn't matter cos as soon the discs needed replacing I was getting decent ones anyway. As it turns out my front pads lasted another 15K and the rears another 60K, there wasn't even anything wrong with them when they wanted to replace them!

Is there anywhere else you can take it for warrenty work? I always bank on not taking my car to the selling dealer to do warenty work as most times they don't want to know you.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Geez, thats bad luck there mate.
How long have u had the car for? With any sort of car dealer as soon as u drive out of the dealer they dont want to have anything to do with ur car, they just want ur money when u buy the car.
So far i havent had any issues with my SV6 (touch wood). Only one so far is where the swaybar bolts onto the strut half way up, on mine it wasnt bolted on was an easy fix though.

When u turned full lock right, you'll get abit of a groonching noise but is gone now.

1 tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
I bought the tonner new in 05.
It has got to the stage that I want to get rid of it and buy a Ford 1 tonner.
Always had Holden's . Since the 60's. But this one has really got to me.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Where do you take your car Troy? Slaven or Commonwealth Motors? I take mine to Commonwealth Motors in Phillip and they have been pretty good so far. They told my my brakes need to be done all round but I'm putting that off, I try not to use them ;)

1 tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gday
Yes I bought the 1 Tonner new in 05.
It has got to the stage that I am even looking at a Ford and me , who has been owning and driving Holdens for nearly 30 years.