Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] Comp Cams 232/234

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Team

I recently wrote off my VZ ute after hitting a roo and was in need of a new shell.

I just purchased a VY SS Ute that was supposedly running 12's as an auto. The slush box and diff died under the stresses.

3/4 of a manual changeover has been completed for her to run a T56 with an Eaton True Trac and Dana 3.9s

What I inherited was an LS1 with ported and shaved heads running a Comp Cams 232/234. The cam specs are:
  • Rpm operating range 2400 - 7200
  • Duration advertised Inlet 281°, Exh 283°
  • Duration advertised @ .050" Inlet 232°, Exh 234°
  • Valve lift with 1.7 rocker Inlet .598", Exh .598"
  • Lobe separation angle 112°
I'm not unhappy with the purchase at all. I know what I am sitting on; I just don't have any experience running a race style cam. Do you think this will be streetable or should I change the cam out for something else?

Your wisdom and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Run it and find out. What some people will find acceptable others will not. 3.9 gears should make it more manageable.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
That's the current plan. It will clearly runs and could be workable; but, I would prefer if someone with a similar setup could provide some advice related to their experience. If it is an utter pig I would prefer not to put it together just to pull it back out.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
will sound angry and need good tuner for street use, with the manual may get a bit bucky if not right down low but if sorted out should be fine

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks 07GTS

was hoping to hear something positive. I'll give it a crack and report back once I have it all mated up. Need to grab a clutch kit to match the output now and we should be sorted for the build.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You could also play around with the cam timing. Advance it 2-4° over the recommended installed position. That will close the intake valve a bit earlier and improve low end a bit over the cost of high rpm/peak power performance.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks Immortality, I will try it as it is and see where we go from there.
Cheers v Beers
Jolls

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Had that cam in my manual sv8 with 3.9 gears. Installed cam myself. Used as a daily drove fantastic sub 10l/per hundred on highway and around 14 in town. You need a good tuner with heaps of experience. Never had low rev issues or bucking etc.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Had that cam in my manual sv8 with 3.9 gears. Installed cam myself. Used as a daily drove fantastic sub 10l/per hundred on highway and around 14 in town. You need a good tuner with heaps of experience. Never had low rev issues or bucking etc.
Thanks mate that is the news I want to hear. I feel much more positive hearing that news.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls