Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Comp testing a V6

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The issue is the Buick has deep recesed threads. I need about another 10mm on the part that screws into the head. I had a look at mine and even if I ground it to fit, the oring will no longer have the groove to help it seal. I would need a custom thread extension to make it work.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
You don't need to. But just grab the throttlebody and open the butterfly.
I've tested WOT vs no throttle on the test all it does is get to the same reading one rev quicker thats about it.

So how can one open the throttle with one hand and bridge 2 points on a starter relay with the other hand?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So you've got to open the throttle with one hand and try and bridge 2 points on a relay with the other hand to engage the starter relay...
And that's why I had no intention of trying it this way..... Ute is back together now and running. Have to price up a tool before I decide whether I can be bothered pulling it apart again, or if I just take it across the road from work and have the garage mess with it...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
And that's why I had no intention of trying it this way..... Ute is back together now and running. Have to price up a tool before I decide whether I can be bothered pulling it apart again, or if I just take it across the road from work and have the garage mess with it...

Smart move.....I'd tend to lean towards the garage doing the test......Doing compression tests on your motor wouldn't be a regular thing for you, so purchasing the extension would probably be a waste of money.....

Then on second thoughts, purchasing the extension would probably be cheaper than the garage charging you for the test....The garage will probably charge you an hours labour, which would be approximately $130 ish.....No way the extension would be that much.

Anyway best of luck on your decision and hopefully the compression test comes back favourably :)

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
So how can one open the throttle with one hand and bridge 2 points on a starter relay with the other hand?
Use the left hand to bridge the relay and the right to open the throttle. I must be a rocket surgeon.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Use the left hand to bridge the relay and the right to open the throttle. I must be a rocket surgeon.
For an extra five minutes, I'd rather just pull the plug and relay. The latter will still be easier for me.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

I can see this fraught with danger.....2 wires in one hand

As for the rocket surgeon.....If that was the case, god help this country....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Always thought it was either a brain surgeon or rocket scientist....

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
*had to google 'rocket surgeon'

base salary $38k

1599967645612.png