Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
my understanding is the difference between LLT and LFX is the LFX has its exhaust manifold as part of the actual head (which is why you cant put extractors on them), and a plastic intake instead of an alloy one.

The LFX also runs the same software as the LS2 where as the LLT has different software.

Joshytee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z series 11
Hey, just wondering how this is all going now? How is the car running? And have you had any problems occur? I am currently thinking about doing the same thing. I need new engine and can’t work out why the VF 3.6 LFX is half the price of the VE 3.6 LFX..

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
It had a spun bearing

Did this to my ute's original engine... Knock knock, who's there? Rod six. haha

As for why VF engines are cheaper? Maybe they're more common? LLTs are stupid expensive for this reason (because they're less common).

Joshytee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z series 11
Did this to my ute's original engine... Knock knock, who's there? Rod six. haha

As for why VF engines are cheaper? Maybe they're more common? LLTs are stupid expensive for this reason (because they're less common).

So you had an engine knock in your VE and replaced it with the VF engine no issues? Or the knock occurred after the swap?

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
So you had an engine knock in your VE and replaced it with the VF engine no issues? Or the knock occurred after the swap?

I replaced my original LLT which had a knocking rod with another LLT. My replacement engine came from an Automatic Calais. The issue happened due to my DMF breaking, threw the balance of the engine off. New engine now has a HD single mass flywheel clutch.

In saying that, the process was pretty simple, I simply swapped all the accessories across. The process that OP did is pretty similar except he had the additional step of swapping the sumps over. I guess VFs use a different front subframe due to the electric power steering they have. (All VEs use a Hydraulic rack)

Joshytee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z series 11
I replaced my original LLT which had a knocking rod with another LLT. My replacement engine came from an Automatic Calais. The issue happened due to my DMF breaking, threw the balance of the engine off. New engine now has a HD single mass flywheel clutch.

In saying that, the process was pretty simple, I simply swapped all the accessories across. The process that OP did is pretty similar except he had the additional step of swapping the sumps over. I guess VFs use a different front subframe due to the electric power steering they have. (All VEs use a Hydraulic rack)

righto,
Thanks for all that! Unless I find a VE engine at a reasonable price/mileage today then I’m going with the VF.
Will keep you updated!

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
The only differences between VE and VF LFX engine is the the sump as vf is about 10mm shallower and oil level sensor is in a different location, alloy rocker covers on the vf with plastic on ve. So to put the vf engine in a ve all you need to do is change sump and oil pick up and its straight in. Also the wiring loom too

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Also some sensor plugs might be different, so swap the VE sensors in place of the VF ones if needed.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Also some sensor plugs might be different, so swap the VE sensors in place of the VF ones if needed.
Off the top of my head they're all the same