Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Complete VN,VP,VR,VS,VQ,VG Headunit Guide [56k warning]

vs calais 95

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
haha wish I saw this a few months ago! would of made life a lot easier haha!

Hillzzy

SVEiGHT
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
great guide.. however all i can say is to those who try but fail - NEVER take it to an auto electrician!! my m8 got charged $176 for his headunit installed.. said it took 2 hours labour lol.. there supposed to know what they are doing yet i did mine in under one hour and have little experience lol

MOSX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP VAC
god what a effort, thanks for the guide. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I couldn't get the glove box out, near broke it off in mega rage. but I managed to do it all without removing it.

showtime

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 5.0l
First of all great post, Just my bit to add.
To the people with less experience with tools, and to some that will just never get it.
DON'T use a cordless drill, over tightening and cross threading screws is my biggest hate. You will break plastic mounts and you will have a rattly squeaky dash for ever.
For the 3 mins extra it can be well worth it. And try and get all the screws back in the same place they come from

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Agreed^

General rule of thumb that goes for alot of things. Remove it using whatever you want but unless the torque spec is '####in tight' do it up by hand :)

Looking back at this guide Ive done it a million times now, but its still a pain in the ass just to get to the head unit :p

VS dream

Lets go cruising!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executvie SeriesII
hey guys, firstly thanks so much for the guide :) ive managed to take out my h/u and everything but am now very at loss what to do with with the cords and plugs etc. ive read the guide but am still confused :S so can someone please tell me simply what i have to do to join the h/u to the car?

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
You will need to cut/splice into the wires on the factory plug and join them to the new harness supplied with the head unit. Or you can buy an adapter that connects to the standard plug then you join the new harness to that so the factory plug remains intact. Or, you can buy two ISO adapters, one for the head unit and one for the car so its all plug and play!

kory

xXHolden4LifeXx
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5 speed spak
thanks mate.this beats doing it the hard way.lol great info.this looks so much quicker than pulling the hole friggin thing apart.

mikepickles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
hey guys need some assistance.

read the guide, installed a Kenwood MP149 into my VS. everything went smoothly...then......NOTHING...
- HU has power going in (reset button works, i can hear cd player booting)
- NOTHING on the face lights up/seems to be off
- Did it the safe way and bought the 2 adapters (VS version and Kenwood 2000-2004 version)
- Checked all fuses.
- Re-installed the original to check required power was coming out of the car, check.

I'm a pretty smart guy with a fair understanding of electronics and i seem to be a bit stumped as to what to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Atreidae

(Was an) Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SIDI
Detachable/hinged face.. Check the connector on it, perhaps clean with an eraser. See how you go.