Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

component vs 3/4 way splits

love the general

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute daily hj gts project
ok i know this is a noob question and i didn't get any clear answers fro the search function but i wanna know which is better for a set of front splits a set of component speakers or a set of 2/3/4 way of coaxials. for arguments sake say they are the same brand, same size, same wattage etc. thanks

arrow224

Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Splits. No doubt about it. You can position the tweeter differently to the other drivers, and so can create a better sound stage and sound depth.

However coaxials are good because all the sound originates from the one point. This is an ideal situation - all sound coming from one point. However, in order to get it sounding good, a pretty funky mounting position is needed, quite unpractical for cars.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Splits and components are essentially the same. These are the best choice, provided they are installed properly.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
As above, i definately go with the splits, just think a coaxial speaker has to do 2 things at the same time. A splits sytstem, does just that, it splits the duties up, allowing each component to concentrate and doing just one thing. You'll have the added advantage of choosing the tweeter placement, and will allow for better tuning overall compared to if you were to install coaxials..

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
As above, i definately go with the splits, just think a coaxial speaker has to do 2 things at the same time. A splits sytstem, does just that, it splits the duties up, allowing each component to concentrate and doing just one thing. You'll have the added advantage of choosing the tweeter placement, and will allow for better tuning overall compared to if you were to install coaxials..
Good coaxials have proper high and low pass filters like splits, so the woofer and tweeter are doing their own thing.

arrow was on the money regarding the mounting position.