Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Compound recommendations

wato44

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ute
Hello again,
Ive resprayed the utes bonnet in acrylic and im after recommendations of a good compound. Previously ive used Mr Buff, yes thats its name, from super cheap. I find i need to do two or three applications of it and its messy as hell. Its cheap enough but you use a lot in the end. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I use Roar 610 from memory (it's in the back of my shed somewhere)
1 product used with all pads.
Does a good enough job for me.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Shouldn't take much to buff it to a nice shine if the paint is applied well. Are you wet rubbing with 2000 after a week or two and then leaving it another two weeks and hitting it with the orange pad? I've used Bowden's Own and it's reasonable but it is a fairly course compound compared to some.

wato44

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ute
Looking at the roar 610 it says its a cutting and polishing compound. Does it have silicone in it? I wet sand starting at 1000 then 1500 then 2000. Then i buff. You suggesting wait another two weeks after wet sanding before compounding? Never done that ive always compounded straight after wet sanding

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Acrylic stays soft and is best polished once it hardens some. You will get better shine and less swirls if left for a bit, especially if you use a normal buffer and not a DA. DA is better BTW, incase it sounds like normal buffer is better.

wato44

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ute
So a dual action buffer you say to compound? Never tried that always used a normal buffer. I might give that a go, thanks

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I just use a normal buffer as that is what I had. DA is better but have to factor in they are pretty expensive.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
So a dual action buffer you say to compound? Never tried that always used a normal buffer. I might give that a go, thanks
For wet colour sanding, 1000 paper too coarse and leaves sanding marks to deep, use 1200 only on runs/bad high spots to knock down. Start 1500, less marks less work for yourself and move to highest paper after. The higher you use, the less to buff and polish in next stage.
DA sander ok to use with higher grade paper to save time, DA is just an orbital sander with a short throw circle using sponge back sanding paper, I’ve even used a small cheap square palm wood sander with high grade paper and very light force down for flat surfaces, also mask up your edges on panels in case you sand thru clear to colour. Yes as @losh1971 posted with acrylic wait a while especially in winter/areas with the high humidity.

Can use any cutting compound really, your choice your cost, it’s really the method, which you will be able to tell with surface shine at each step and what you use in pads/sander.
Best result using a round sander/polisher at 1800 rpm tops with white pads for cutting and then the grey dimpled pads for polish/wax. I even use an old large variable speed hitachi angle grinder/wool pads at home and works ok if you know how to guide it properly, especially near the edges.

If you want good gear like the compounds/disks/pads, though expensive, go to trade paint suppliers.