Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Comprehensive Road Test Just for a Map Update?

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
Has anyone heard that for a map update , Holden must conduct a "comprehensive road test" ???

Doesn't sound right to me , something is not quite making sense.

Has anyone in a Holden Commodore , whether a VF or earlier had to submit their vehicle to a "comprehensive road test" just for a map update?

What about a "Navigation System Calibration" what is this all about? Has anyone ever had this carried out just for a map update?

This is what I have in email from Holden themselves.

"We can confirm , map software update is relatively quick, however the vehicle may also require the radio software update and the navigation system calibration which can take a number of hours due to a comprehensive road test process"

Can anyone shed any light on why these procedures are necessary if at all, or is this just puffery.. Are they going to be driving my vehicle around the city for hours just to make sure it all works? Unbelievable. They don't even know for sure when they say "may" -- I hate that word because it just highlights that they really don't know what they are doing, despite being in possession of my software version information which they uploaded via VCAP(see photo) so they don't even know what the version they are installing will be. I have asked this a number of times and they don't give me a direct answer. They will tell me on the day what the part number is- is the answer they gave me. Are they for real?

So is this the standard procedure for just a map update? If this is a day long exercise then I pity the rest of you who will have to go through a whole day without their car for what I presumed is a simple procedure.

photo.jpg

MarcoVFRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
They drive it around Australia looking for random streets. If they can't find enough streets they give you the update

vy_berlina03

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6 Storm
RoganJosh did you get a map update or not as the other post never had a answer

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
RoganJosh did you get a map update or not as the other post never had a answer

Not yet , this has been booked in with my local dealer but this is what Holden are advising me by email what is required for this update that they are going to do ...

vy_berlina03

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6 Storm
OK would love to know how it goes and the cost if any, also if it is a long process do you get a car for the day? cause when they updated the mylink they gave me a car for the day

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
OK would love to know how it goes and the cost if any, also if it is a long process do you get a car for the day? cause when they updated the mylink they gave me a car for the day

There is no cost to me. They have offerred me a loan vehicle. They only say the need the car for a day because they can just do it at their leisure, the actual process takes a lot less. I will keep this thread updated for any developments and post photos of the map version when I have finally been updated.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
The mylink programming (it's an operating software update because there are no new maps available for VF's yet) can fail and work on subsequent attempts and is generally a pain in the backside to do so dealers try and keep the car for a bit just in case. Sometimes you do have to drive the vehicle for a bit to recalibrate the GPS receiver otherwise it fudges your current location.

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
No this nothing to do with MyLink update I am getting my maps updated. I will be the first VF owner to get the upate. They are flying an engineer from Melbourne to do this.

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
wow, flying engineer from mel to do this, which dealership is that?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
No this nothing to do with MyLink update I am getting my maps updated. I will be the first VF owner to get the upate. They are flying an engineer from Melbourne to do this.

This just keeps getting better and better!

Specialized engineers to upgrade maps! Incredible!

Look forward to hearing what happens.