Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Comprehensive Road Test Just for a Map Update?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I would have thought so -- especially if a Holden tech is doing the driving.

Not neccessarily, but they are still responsible regardless.

In regards to their insurance, it would totally depend upon their actual policy. E.G. My policy covers third party damage, so and so forth... but since I so rarely need to drive a customers vehicle (2-3 times a year and rarely leave the parking lot) I decided to not pay for that extra coverage. But, if I was to drive their vehicles on a regular basis, I would consider it more important than damage incurred in the workshop. Since the cost of repairing a smashed car is far greater than a busted panel or letting the smoke out of an ecu/bcm.

So, I highly doubt a dealership would risk not having that on their policy. Regardless though, I'm completely aware that in the eyes of the law, if an accident happens... I'm responsible in taking the neccessary actions for getting the car fixed back to the condition it was in when it arrived in my care. Whether it be my fault or not. If not my fault, the other driver must be responsible but... if the other driver flees, doesn't have insurance or contests the accident, the costs fall back to me to get the repairs done ASAP and follow up afterwards with the at fault driver. The owner of the vehicle must not be incurred any costs or unreasonably (taking too long to repair) inconvenienced due to them not being responsible and myself holding a duty of care... even though I dont have insurance for it. It's because of this law that the insurance policies exist to cover their arse in such an incident.

Still baffled at why it would take so long... their response of the speeds and distance is baffling. I can understand the speeds required but the only reason I can think of the distance being UPTO 200kms is a generic disclaimer to allow all dealerships nationwide the distance required to get to a 100km/h speed zone and safely travel for the time required to maintain 100km/h.

They may need to calibrate the difference between the detected GPS speeds and the speeds that the car detects through tyre rotations to adequately calculate ETA and DTA on the maps. The system may be updating more than just maps, it may require a firmware update to calibrate it all. Although, I would then assume that all new cars delivered could potentially have to go through the same process before leaving the assembly line and the sheer cost of labour on that would be stupid and passed onto the end consumer.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
OP, have you got a dash camera installed?
Might be a good idea, if your stressing about the dealer/technicians playing with and driving your vehicle.

If you had a 2 channel one, you could even turn the rear camera around to film the interior, I doubt anyone would pick it up.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
This sure has been a funny thread. It looks like Holden no longer have their own cars to test and calibrate whatever, they need to use a customer's car. And for up to 200ks. You couldn't make this stuff up.

:rofl2: 200kms!!!!!! :rofl2:

So..... Holdens going to pay someone to drive a car for roughly 2+ hours everytime a map update is required.

OP, have you got a dash camera installed?
Might be a good idea, if your stressing about the dealer/technicians playing with and driving your vehicle.

If you had a 2 channel one, you could even turn the rear camera around to film the interior, I doubt anyone would pick it up.

Go pro all the way. Or may one of those 360cams :beer chug:

We would like to confirm the Odocal and Gyrocal require calibration as this determines the vehicle location when the satellite navigation signal is lost in circumstances such as driving through tunnels.
The comprehensive road test requires driving your vehicle at varying speeds up to 100km/h and the distance will be up to 200kms in total.

Odocal = Umm... Odometer calibration?? Odohecahedron? What is a odocal?!?!
Gyrocal = Gyro Calibration, so thats in regards to the internal sensors just like VE that help navigate the maps without satellites such as steering wheel angle ect.

Unless the update puts the navigation into some sort of "learning mode", I really don't see what this supposed comprehensive test is going to do. The second the satellites sync up with it, the new GPS coordinates are processed and maps will display that location. The 'offline' mode navigation without satellites are based off of the vehicles speed and direction turned with steering wheel... so I would be interested in hearing what happens if this comprehensive test is not performed.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
I've never heard of the need to "calibrate" a GPS. You don't need to calibrate maps, the point of reference is provided by the GPS unit and that won't be touched... besides it gets a fix from satellites.

I call hobblewash (because that's my word for tonight).

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
This is beyond bizarre. I agree that you couldn't make this up if you tried. We just want our maps updated, I cannot believe any of this is necessary.

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
It's getting done on monday the 11th July, hopefully I will take some video with my phone of it getting done (not the whole thing just snippet, don't want to bore you all)

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
The upgrade has commenced. I am not going to wait whilst it is being but I will be there for the 200km "comprehensive road test" My tech Steve showed me the USB stick they will use and all the instructions written down and they have to contact TAC a department in Holden as well.

It will take up to 6 hours to "upgrade the maps" and a further 2 hours for this "comprehensive road test" and this is not an April Fools joke. See my job sheet below.

Map Update redacted.jpg

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
This is the first JC has heard of a VF map update being available, innit?

If so, maybe this is the first time it's ever been done in the wild, which is why they're being overcautious and fiddling with stuff & checking with people they wouldn't usually fiddlecheck with?