Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

compressing SSL

Jas[SVQ223]

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Calais S2
Gday guys

i was wondering where id go to get springs compressed i got SSL in the rear of my calais and it aint that low im wanting to go lower iv been told any tyre service would do it dunno if its true or not

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Better have your flame suit ready mate.

SSSL would probably cost about the same as getting springs compressed, only its not, illegal, dangerous or stupid. Well actually scratch the first, its probably illegal to go that low.

smoknvr:)

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim
hey mate id go and get a new set of rear springs i have been thru this my self b4 bud,same scenario wanted lower in my project car but spoke to industrial springs on port rd and they can make any height u want cant remember wat price they r heres the web Industrial Engineers and Spring Makers - Home good luk man

Jas[SVQ223]

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Calais S2
so beta of to just buy newies of ebay or something. this is how it sits atm but deffo want it lower

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Did you just try to upload a picture?

Yes get new springs.

VL-187

ZZZZZZZZTUUUTUUUTUUU
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged VS calais II
if ur not happy with the ssl, u probably wont be any happier with sssl because there is hardly any difference at all... ive had springs compressed and with shortened shocks to suit they're fine..
and i doubt many tyre places actually do it, usually its just suspension places..

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Better have your flame suit ready mate.

SSSL would probably cost about the same as getting springs compressed, only its not, illegal, dangerous or stupid. Well actually scratch the first, its probably illegal to go that low.

Illegal, yes
Dangerous, no
Stupid, debatable. :p

SSSL you will get done for if they know what they are looking for. Not only will you sit too low but you will not have 2/3 suspension travel retained so they can get you for that.

Tyre places won't compress springs. Suspension places will. Usually if a tyre place says they can do it they just take your springs, send them off to a suspension place and charge you an extra 20%.

New springs are the better options because then if you get pulled up for it, you pop the old legal springs in and can get your car to pass a roady.

As acarmody said, it's not dangerous is you get new SSSL springs because they are designed for your car at that height. Only way it's dangerous in this situation is if the driver is a tool.

Stupid, well, considering how **** Australian roads are with all the bums, potholes, speed bumps, etc. Then from my perspective it's stupid as you'll eventually have to drive a long distance and then you will hate life. But that's a personal thing so you may love it because even when you back it destroyed, you turn around and look at your car and love how it looks. :p

Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who had SSSL's in their car and loved it. But now I wouldn't do it again.

VL-187

ZZZZZZZZTUUUTUUUTUUU
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bagged VS calais II
i dont think u could even get defected for SSSL in the rear of a vs... i had them in mine and no point of the car was anywhere near as low as 100mm off the ground

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
It's the 2/3 suspension travel they can get you on. Not many people know about that one but it's what I got done for back when I had the VX.

Plus, the OP needs to specify where he is from, as some states work of brow height and not 100mm clearance don't they?