Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

compressors

Mr Gop

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Also forgot to mention this morning, make sure you check what FAD, (Free Air Delivery) you are getting from a compressor before you buy it. This is the volume of air in litres or cubic feet per minute you are getting at the gun or tool. Many people will try to sell you on displacement volume which is like comparing flywheel kw to rear wheel kw and is usually 25-30% less than displacement.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Or you could do what ive seen done. A filed down 15A plug to fit a 10A socket.

Dont do this. Its stupid.

Shhh, I made up a 300mm extension cord, 10A one side and 15A the other end.

I just unwired the 15amp plug on my compressor and slammed a 10amp plug on. But I only use it down in the shed where the powerboard is rated to ~40amps, we just forgot to install 15amp plugs.

You realise all the above advice can burn the op's house down yes??!

Unless he has a modern rcd protected type c 16a breaker in good working order your risking overheating your cable and it melting or igniting..

Believe me I've fixed this from backyard welders many times:p

Honestly if your serious about spraying your own car or others stuff get a 15a gpo installed, not that expensive, odds are less than the cost of your compressor and then you aren't risking a major asset like a house over some dodgy wiring.

Also good thread tho as I'm researching the same thing:)

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Thats why I added the last line.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
You realise all the above advice can burn the op's house down yes??!

Unless he has a modern rcd protected type c 16a breaker in good working order your risking overheating your cable and it melting or igniting..

Believe me I've fixed this from backyard welders many times:p

Honestly if your serious about spraying your own car or others stuff get a 15a gpo installed, not that expensive, odds are less than the cost of your compressor and then you aren't risking a major asset like a house over some dodgy wiring.

Also good thread tho as I'm researching the same thing:)

Yes I will add the the OP shouldn't do this unless they have a setup that can run this safely. In my case I have plenty of leeway.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Thats why I added the last line.

Yea wasn't having a dig at ya I've just seen to many horror stories and as a sparky it craps me to tears fixing stuff like burnt out cables in roofs.

Yes I will add the the OP shouldn't do this unless they have a setup that can run this safely. In my case I have plenty of leeway.

Good call. Also I'd consider getting a 15a plug if I was you as the internal plug conductors can be smaller between 10a and 15a items pending on brands.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
easy fix to the 15A problem is go buy yourself a 5 buck 3 meter extension cable rom your local asian shop. file the earth plug down on the comp and then use it normally.

if anything is gonna catch fire, itll be that 5 dollar lead and not your house...

[obviously never ever do this, its not like i would ever do this or have enver done this or have ever disposed of like 3 leads cos the cable inside them had gone so hard that the insulation had started flaking off]

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
A 3HP compressor is 2.237kW. A normal 10amp can handle 10amp at 230-240v, so 2.3-2.4kW. So depending on how crappy the compressor motor is, the GPO should (and I use this term lightly) be able to handle it. Obviously you would want nothing else running on this circuit.

I have two times only, used my 3HP compressor in the garage on a normal wall socket and never blown a fuse or tripped the safety. And my compressor is an 20 year old Ingersall Rand 14cfm compressor.

But I still wouldn't recommend doing this.

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
Cheers for advice guys, yer its just gonna be to respray a $200 ford meteor I picked up, has a few easily fixable issues and needs respray so figured better learn about compressors, the sprayin ain't too bad