Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

computer help - windows missing files

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
:) :) :) :)

Last edited:

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
i just rang a computer repair place that does all the service work on compaq laptops in darwin. he said that a reinstall is the only way.

i then asked if i could just put the HDD in a caddy and copy the stuff off it. He said no, but then i said that i do have a working computer that i can plug it into. He said that will work

now, how do i get the HDD out. Here is a picture
hdd.jpg

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I think you just slide it to the left (facing the picture) and then lift out, but it's hard to tell without seeing it. All laptops are different :(.

It is a good idea to backup all your stuff before doing a reinstall/repair, etc. Don't format the drive when you do, just see if you can do a repair first.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
ok, the hdd is now in an external drive attached to my pc.

the whole system32 folder is missing.

looks like i'll just have to copy all the documents over to my computer and start from scratch on the laptop

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Just check to make sure it's not in the recycle bin first :). A long shot, I know, but you never know!!

But then it might not be just the system32 folder missing. Make sure you do back everything up.

I'd say for the sake of making sure it's not a hard drive problem (physically) copy as much of the stuff as you can onto the computer and then when you reinstall windows format the drive (FULL) as well. The format will pick up if there's any problems and the installer will squeal about it. Or, you could just do a disk check from your computer on that drive... one of the two :).

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Zero fill the drive before reinstalling to make sure that whatever virus is on the disk is wiped out completely !

there's a free program called diskwizard from seagate... burn it to cd then set the laptop to boot from cd first and run it... it works for other drives aswell.

Code:
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
too late!!

just set it going on the format and reinstall. going for the full format.

thanks guys!