Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

computer help - windows missing files

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
my sisters laptop won't start windows. it says that

<windows root>\system32\hal.dll.

is missing or corrupted and to reinstall it.

how do i do that without losing everything else?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
put in the windows xp cd, boot form it, press R when at options (recovery console) then select your windows operating system, then type FIXBOOT and enter, then reboot

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
:) :) :) :)

Last edited:

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Which version of windows?

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
windows xp

i just did the fixboot, and it asked if i want to write a new bootsecotr to the partition c:

do i want to do that, or will i lose all my sisters stuff(and mine)

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
did the fixboot and nothing

tried to expand the hal.dl_ from the cd to the windows folder but access is denied

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
If your Windows XP CD allows you to do a repair of Windows (Not via recovery console - this option should be available under Install Windows) then you won't lose anything. What it'll do is it'll just copy all the Windows files back over, but you will probably need to reinstall service packs again. If it's asking you to re-partition or format the hard drive, stop right there and go back!! haha.

But try getting hal.dll off another Windows XP (same service pack level) and copying it over.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
:) :) :) :)

Last edited:

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
DavidPartay said:
If your Windows XP CD allows you to do a repair of Windows (Not via recovery console - this option should be available under Install Windows) then you won't lose anything. What it'll do is it'll just copy all the Windows files back over, but you will probably need to reinstall service packs again. If it's asking you to re-partition or format the hard drive, stop right there and go back!! haha.

But try getting hal.dll off another Windows XP (same service pack level) and copying it over.

Good point Don !!!...an overlay install willl fix it...the only prob is I think you'll loose all the installed programs aswell as the service packs...It'll be like swiss cheese windows again...LOL

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
Yeah, it's been ages since I've done a Windows repair that way because at work we usually just re-image the computers :) quicker than doing a repair or reinstall and we don't have to reinstall any programs. Reinstalling all programs would make sense because the repair modifies the registry... Duh :)