Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Computer Issue

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
I know this is a car site whatever whatever.. but the other week Atriedae from here fixed my computer by replacing an IDE cable. Since I've had it back, at RANDOM intervals it will reboot. Easily fixed (thanks stocky) by going into System properties/Advanced and chosing "don't reboot on error" or something like that, so I can access the bluescreen messages..

WELL..

bluescreen2.jpg

bluescreen1.jpg

Excuse quality, done by mobile phone pics.
Any help would be appreciated.. I'm only just building my entertainment system in my bedroom.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Just before it boots, press down F8, at the screen, tell it to restore it back the way it was when it was working fine.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Just before it boots, press down F8, at the screen, tell it to restore it back the way it was when it was working fine.

Done that half a dozen times mate.

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
im gonna say as you have replaced an IDE cable you dont have the HDD/DVD/CD rom set up as master and slave correctly. maybe. whatever was on the cable before has to be put back the same way. there is a black and a grey connection on the cable. one is master one is slave. i dunno how much you know about computers but this is just to get some ideas flowing. either change the jumpers on the back of your hdd or dvd rom or whatever or change their position on the cable

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Not to insult your intelligence or anything yobbo.. but im pretty sure the master/slave configuration is setup right. It all boots/works fine.. until it pops up bluescreen.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll
go here http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp and download the
windows memory diagnostic program. Follow the instructions to burn it to a
cd. Once you have it on a cd. Restart the computer and let the computer boot off the cd.
The computer should boot into a memory diagnostic program and run through a set of tests.
let it go for about 15min, this will determine if you have a faulty memory module that could be causing this issue.

Seems you have just recently had the IDE cable replaced, I would also check
the IDE cable is plugged in firmly, and that it is an 80pin cable rather than a 40pin cable.
Also check that the cable is not folded or screwed up too much. Maybe even replace the cable again, just to be sure.

PM me if you need any more help, as I am a computer tech!!! :)

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
which IDE cable was replaced? primary or secondary? and how many devices are on each cable? the common setup is hard drive in primary master and cdrom dvdrom on secondary master and slave. if you changed the secondary cable then nothing will seem wrong until the computer tries to access either reader and finds the order of devices is wrong. another thought as i typed this the cable might have bent a pin on the back of your HDD causing an error when the pc is bumped slightly. i might be wrong but process of elimination says its the cable right? not software changes or any other hardware changes were made besides the cable?

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Thanks for everyone's help, it's appreciated.

I'm not to personally sure on which way IDE cables have been configured. As I said, Atriedae from here, and other forums fixed that part up for me, and from my understanding on his knowledge, he sounds like he knows whats oging on.

I'll most definately give that memory test a shot.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Random reboots or failure to boot can be caused by a weak BIOS battery !

Batterys only last around 3-5 yrs... How old is your system ?

The only other suggestions I can make are what have been said already...

Maybe I can further clarify... check the IDE cable is a 80 pin type and that number 1 pin on the cable corresponds between the HDD and the mobo... it's the coloured wire on the cable... it should be closest to the power cables on the HDD and it should only fit one way on the mobo...or your mobo should have number 1 pin identified by a number on the mobo.

The HDD's should be fitted on the one cable in the master and slave positions... if i remember rightly if you mix up optical drives and HDD's on the same cable your HDD's will only run at the speed of the opticals...you should install the opticals on the secondary IDE cable and HDD's on the primary cable....set the jumpers on all devises to cable select is easiest.

Then boot into your BIOS by pressing the "del" repeatedly to see that the devises are being recognised... you'll need your mobo manual to work out how to make settings as BIOS's are different...it's not rocket science if you can follow instructions you'll be ok.

Other than that google is your best friend ! :thumbsup: