Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Computer running chronically slowly

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
OK. More help needed regarding my desktop PC.

For the past two weeks it has been running so slowly when on the internet that it's like having a dial-up connection. This is the list of problems I am currently encountering.

1. When opening a website, and JC is absolutely the worst because of the graphics and advertising on the home page, it can take up to two minutes to load.
2. Once I'm into the site, I have to log in every time. I know I should probably do this anyway, but in the past, if I closed the site but didn't log out, I could re-enter the site quickly. Now, it shuts me down anyway and doesn't remember me, even though I tick the box every time.
3. Even though the drop down window asks me if I would like my password to be stored for the future, it doesn't do it.
4. I can out-type the computer frequently. I'm not a fast typist, but it's become common for me to get so far ahead of the pc that it doesn't load what I've typed and I have to slow right down to complete my sentences and re-enter nearly everything. (It's working fine right now, but if I try to enter anything when it first boots up, it runs poorly).
5. Scrolling down during that boot-up phase, when I have a full screen display, can't be done until it has completely finished loading.
6. Even when the system has completed loading, changing screens on this site can take up to forty or fifty seconds. The HD is churning away but the screen remains only half loaded until it has all the data, then I get the full screen.

Last week, I got a drop-down message telling me my memory was nearly full. I copied a large quantity of photos onto CD's and deleted them from the hard drive, including the trash bin. I've done a disc clean-up, and have defrag programmed for every night around 3am. It appears to be working correctly as I check every other day to see that the last defrag was early that morning. There is now plenty of space on the HD.

The computer is an HP Pavilion p6345a, about 3 years old. It runs 4GB of ram and has a 1TB hard drive. I also have an external 1TB HD, which has been cleaned and defragged as well.

Is it likely that part of the RAM has failed which is causing this poor performance or can somebody suggest some other alternative problems. Microsoft Security Essentials is the anti-viral protection. I don't use the computer for gaming at all.
It isn't choked up with hundreds of additional apps - the most commonly used are Word and Excel. As mentioned elsewhere on this forum I'm still running Windows 7 and Explorer 8 for the internet.

Suggestions?

PS. (Burning the PC isn't an option.:))

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
First thing that springs into my mind is malware. There would seem to be processes running that are dragging your machine to its knees.

Have a look at your running processes in Task Manager (show all processes) and eyeball them for something untoward. Right click the toolbar> Task Manager.

Also try Start> Search and type msconfig. Yo want to look at your startup tab, do you have a million and one things loading on login? Anything that looks suss?

If you're wondering about your memory condition W7 and upwards have a memory diagnostic built in. "Open Memory Diagnostics Tool by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Memory, and then click Diagnose your computer's memory problems"

Unlike cars computers don't really wear out and degrade over time unless something provokes it. If the HDD is churning (constantly) you usually have a leaky process or something malicious.

I'd also be upgrading from IE8, it's unsupported (only IE11 is now supported) and not HTML5 compatible (most of the good internet is HTML5 now).

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
Have a look at your page file and virtual memory size too.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I've gone through the processes you suggest and have come to the conclusion that this thing is very ill and needs someone who really knows what they are doing to fix it.

Immortality. - Tried - pc refuses to download anything. Not even Windows 10 upgrade. Tried a number of times. Just not interested. Keeps the drop down asking whether I want to Run, Save Cancel. Hit all three over a period of time. Nothing happened and the drop down remained on screen. Even after deleting a couple of programs on the start up, the pc took minutes to boot up, still didn't recognise me when I entered this site and took ages to let me change pages, scroll, etc.

Pollushon - did as you suggested. Nothing untoward found. Ran the memory check but the pc didn't do what it said it would. Ran the scan but provided no report.

SaUte - did that but nothing noted.

Fuggit. This shitbox can go to the doctor. It's working worse than a public dunny choked by a ten pound turd. I CBF trying to fix what I know nothing about.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited:

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
ok,good luck mate,if all else fails..................format and start again.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Remove non essential peripherals,
Eg, USB sticks, floppy disks.or cd/dvd in drives

If its present at boot up, then go into the bios and make sure its all loading properly and detected and SMART isn't showing anything

If you can try to load a linux boot disk and ser if you load that fine as this loads into memory

Also try Memtest and also another hard drive SMART test to see if the read/write access is ok

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
still think its melware as immortality suggested..

try running the machine in safemode with lan and see if you can download / run melwarebytes that way..

Combofix is another really good program as well.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
faulty ram will not cause slowdowns.

check that your primary hard drive C isn't full, if it is delete stuff, lots of stuff. You need free space otherwise the machine will slow right down.

other than that scan the drive with a manufacturers tool, WD use WD DLG, Seagate - Seatools, etc etc.

if it's mostly internet related - have you gone over your quota by any chance?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
download ccleaner. Run that. Good to go.