Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Computer running chronically slowly

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Regarding the additional suggestions submitted.

It won't download ANYTHING. Just sits there with the stupid drop down asking me if I want to Run, Save or Cancel. So loading ccleaner or malwarebytes can't be done either, though I haven't tried through Safe mode yet. I'll try that after completing this post.

I've deleted over 30 GB of photos, and the HD is less than half full.

All additional items have been disconnected. All I have hooked up is the printer, mobile internet modem, cable mouse and wireless keyboard.

So...here goes with Safe mode.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
You can also try creating another user account and log into that see if the issue follows the account.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Gee this is fun. Not. Tried safe mode method. Computer wants to boot normally even after forced shutdown with open programs running.

Tried diagnostics. For some reason Windows Defender was switched off. So....tried to switch it on to do full scan. Nup. Defender won't turn on either.

I think its pretty obvious this thing has serious malware or viral issues so I'm going to back up all my pics and docs onto USB's then reformat. Then its "Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to doc we go". My computer skills are limited and I'm at my limits now. So is my patience.

Again, thanks to you all for your suggestions. I will let you know what transpires.

In the interim thank God for smartphones.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
if you've got a bit of spare change around go grab an SSD for added win.

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
Could try pressing F8 while its booting and selecting safe mode .Failing that try to let it boot then shut it down before start up. Upon restart it will give you options to boot into safe mode with networking. once started in safe mode run malwarebytes and see what comes up.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
if you've got a bit of spare change around go grab an SSD for added win.

As mentionef my computer knowledge is limited. What's an SSD?

Another clue to the problem. JC is the worst site so far for loading times. I've noticed that ads for Holden fixed price servicing and Bendix brakes slow it up every time i change screens and try to appear in the last post of every thread i look at. The ads don't completely load. I just get a large black square with the little loading circle. The square seems to be the Holden ad trying to load as its the same size as the ad which appears at the top of the home screen.

Two weeks ago i got a full screen message warning me that the computer had a virus. The voice over told me to contact Microsoft on a 1800 number. The warning could not be switched off. There was a smaller message from the toolbar telling me that MS Essentials could not block the virus.

My nephew is very computer savvy and he ran a full system check and found nothing but that's when these problems started. His opinion was that the message was a fake but now I think not.

I suppose the warning was the real deal and the machine really is corrupted. Has anybody else encountered this warning?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Could try pressing F8 while its booting and selecting safe mode .Failing that try to let it boot then shut it down before start up. Upon restart it will give you options to boot into safe mode with networking. once started in safe mode run malwarebytes and see what comes up.

Cruelass

This frigging thing will not do one thing it is supposed to. Tried your suggestion but it didnt give me safe mode option.

No more ideas guys. I've had a gutful of this bloody thing. I'm giving it to an expert to sort out. If he cant clean out the virus a new HD might be the answer.

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
Two weeks ago i got a full screen message warning me that the computer had a virus. The voice over told me to contact Microsoft on a 1800 number. The warning could not be switched off. There was a smaller message from the toolbar telling me that MS Essentials could not block the virus.

If you got that message on MS Edge,then it is indeed fake,I had the same problem .
Solved Microsoft Edge Hacked - Windows 10 Forums

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you got that message on MS Edge,then it is indeed fake,I had the same problem .
Solved Microsoft Edge Hacked - Windows 10 Forums

SaUte

I don't know what Edge is and don't have it installed to my knowledge but that page certainly sounds like what I experienced. At the time i had just opened a page on YouTube so I reckon the chance of rncountering that sort of crap was pretty high.

However my problems seem to have started from that day.

Edit. OK. Just checked Google. So its part of W10 and an alternate browser to IE 11 which it turns out is what I use.

Obviously that page isn't restricted to Edge.

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
Did it just boot normally?. from the moment you push the power button just spam F8 and see it goes to the menu.