Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Computer running chronically slowly

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
Ahh so windows 10.. nope safe mode isnt f8 anymore..

Press your windows key on the keyboard and select settings.
Select Update & security then recovery
Under Advanced startup, select Restart now
After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot then Advanced options then Startup Settings then Restart.
After your PC restarts again you will see a list of options. Select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking..

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
OK. Here's the news.

The PC was tested this morning and passed with flying colours, No virus and it actually performed very well. Ran Speedtest. All good. Hmmmmm.....

Conversation went as follows:

Him "What sort of internet connection do you have?"

Me "Optus Mobile".

Him "Ahh, say no more. And you're using IE as your browser. Dump it. Go Chrome. IE was hacked some time back and hasn't worked properly for some time. And try connecting the wi-fi aerial that would have screwed into these two connectors on the back."

Me "I thought those connectors were for the television antenna so that the pc could be used as an additional TV." Derrrrr....

So, back home. Reconnect everything, including the "TV Antenna". Speedtest. The bloody thing flies.

Downloaded Adblocker too, to clean up a few annoying ads that piss me off.

As I said, I'm a computer numpty. I only ever bothered to master those things I needed and I'm really not into tampering with specs, upgrading or learning the intricacies of computers. When things go bang, I go "****".

It might be too early to feel absolutely stoked, but initial impressions are pretty good. At least I have found a competent local repair shop who doesn't even charge to do what he did this morning.

"

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
Glad you got it sorted mate,good luck .

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Glad you got it sorted mate,good luck .

Thanks mate. Just have to familiarise myself with Chrome and all seems fine. Thanks for all your advice - I appreciate the trouble a number of members went to with this.

SaUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV ute
Chrome is a very good browser,I use it from time to time.
Bit safer too.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
IE was hacked some time back and hasn't worked properly for some time.

I wouldn't trust anyone that says something like this, it's good advice to switch but that's out and out complete bollocks.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
haha have to agree with you there mpower..

so he said that your router aerials were the reason your PC was hanging and not allowing it to shut down? taking for ages to start and constant ad's popping up..

you mentioned your neff or someone was PC savvy.. id get teamviewer or similar on your pc and get him to have a look at it..

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Again, I wouldn't know, but I seem to recall that others on this forum some time ago gave IE a bucketting and suggested Chrome was much better. As long as this thing finally gets into stride and works as quickly as it is at present, who's complaining?

He suggested that the two ports at the rear of the pc were to accommodate a wifi aerial and that I should connect one if I had it. I did and it appears to have done something positive.

He didn't suggest that by not having them I was prone to unwanted downloads. The problem was that the boot up and download times had become so slow that ads such as the sponsor ads on this site were dragging so long that it took minutes for me to actually do anything on this site.

What I liked was that his advice was easy to follow and he demonstrated how well the machine worked when connected to a decent internet connection. We discussed the problems with poor reception in my area from Optus and the other IP's and, after I asked whether an external aerial, such as the Optus dongle allows for, would improve the reception, he suggested that I use the two ports already provided on the pc if I had the aerial.

Basically, I've been relying on the capacity of the Optus dongle to act as the antenna, in an area with weak reception. It's only in recent weeks that it had become so bad - for the past four years I've had the connection, it has varied between poor during peak periods (you can really tell when the schoolkids get home and start playing with their friggin' i-pads) and good during the early hours of the morning.

As I said, I'm a computer numpty, but my limited knowledge has increased somewhat today. I suspect none of you out there would have had these problems because you would have known what to do from the start.;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Good to hear things are going better.

I'd still suggest downloading Malewarebyres and running it on a regular basis.

I use Chrome too, pissed of IE many years ago......