Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

computer upgrade

frenzal_tom

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS2 Berlina
needa upgrade computer just got some questions
m/b booklet says it can handle upto 3200+ amd processor so can i still get 32 bit processor??
aswell the memory its says can handle upto 2gb of pc2700/2100 but only can get 3200 will it still work??
umm..
i think thats all
if i needa new m/b wot do u suggest i wanna get an amd processor
thankss

Jimboss

Reaction score
I'm not big on AMD, so i don't know alot about them. But the RAM being PC3200 is it's max, if your mobo supports 2700, the ram will run at that speed.

sp4nky

Reaction score
what kind of specs have you got at the moment and what are you looking for a gaming computer or just a day to day computer??

V3N0M

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 magna exec
what ever you do dont put in pc 3200 lol stick with 2700 or 2100. have a mate that put in the rong ram and kinda umm yeah fried his system :p as for the 32bit processor i dont think u can not unless your motherboard specificly suports it.. im pretty sure 3200+ is equivilent to a 3 ghz p4 try these sites

www.gamedude.com.au
www.scorptech.com.au

hope this helps :)

bennzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX II Berlina GenIII V8 5.7
32bit processors are standard, but the 64bit would not be able to run on your motherboard since its a different socket, when changing the processor make sure its the right socket for it.

what motherboard do you have?

V3N0M

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 magna exec
yeah should kinda re word what i say lol.. soz.

Jimboss

Reaction score
I have heard some real horror stories about people buying stuff off gamedude.com.au, so i would just check out the Computer Markets as their prices are pretty decent on most things. Ebay is also a good source for cheap parts as well.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
also try www.auspcmarket.com.au they have a good range but are a tad pricey

the ram should default down the speed to run but i wonder if there is a difference in the little guide notches where the ram goes.

another option is to go for a new mobo cpu and ram, and then keep the old case hdd gfx etc, do a, as i call it, guts upgrade.

from there once installed just re-load windows and presto faster computer :p

sp4nky

Reaction score
they should be DDR ram slots so you should be able to put a stick of 3200 in but it could confict with the 2700 or 2100 ram or cause errors, if you buy a new motherboard then be careful it doesnt have PCI-Express if you aint gonna upgrade your video card aswell

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
upgrade

frenzal_tom said:
needa upgrade computer just got some questions
m/b booklet says it can handle upto 3200+ amd processor so can i still get 32 bit processor??
aswell the memory its says can handle upto 2gb of pc2700/2100 but only can get 3200 will it still work??
umm..
i think thats all
if i needa new m/b wot do u suggest i wanna get an amd processor
thankss

32 bit 3200+ are still available though you may need to search for one. The 32 bit chip is a 2.2ghz chip (64 bit is 2.0ghz).
32bit is equal to an Intel 3.2ghz chip in speed and performance whilst the 64bit exceeds an Intel 3.2ghz chip.

As stated previously the RAM will run at the speed of the slowest stick installed and should/will not fry your board unless there is a short to the memory bank from another source.