Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Conclusive answers about VZ clusters

davo43

Another google mechanic
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hi,

Does anyone know conclusively what is involved in switching instrument clusters in a VZ?? There are a lot of threads filled with speculation but no-one seems to have posted a thread to say that they have actually done it and how...

For example, I have a VZ executive wagon; what are my options for alternative clusters?? There are over half a dozen to choose from - all of which are better looking than my standard one... I'm especially interested in the white-faced HSV ones and the satin chrome rimmed Berlina/Calais ones...

I went to the Holden dealer and they seemed to think that there was no guarantee that any cluster would fit without actually trying it - is this true??

Cheers in advance! :thumbsup:

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
The Holden dealers are talking bollocks - as usual.

OK, as a VZ owner you can fit another cluster out of any other VZ - whether it's V6 or V8, single or three window trip computer, whatever. BUT IT MUST BE FROM A VZ - the connector on the back of the cluster must be BLUE. (if it's grey, it's a VY cluster and WON'T FIT!) I've recently fitted the white faced 3 window HSV cluster to my SV6 - it works fine, and looks TITTIES! ;)

I know this is the VZ section, but the VY clusters are the ones with the grey connector - and these won't work in a VZ. (even if they did, you would lose the digital speedo - unless "police mode" is enabled, but that's another story...) The VYs did have an issue between Series I and Series II, in that the fuel sender apparently worked the opposite way between them. The upshot is that it makes the fuel gauge work backwards, and the DTE calculation gets all screwed up. This can be fixed, but again it requires either high level Tech2 knowledge, or the diag program referred to below. This is all academic in your case anyway, you don't need a VY cluster - you need a VZ one.

Regardless of what cluster you get from whichever model, it will need to be programmed. Now this can be done by the dealer with a Tech2, alternatively myself and a couple of other blokes have a diagnostic program which can be used to alter cluster parameters. Things such as speedo PPK (Pulses Per Kilometre) and tacho PPR (Pulses Per Revolution) must be set, as well as the SRS configuration and so on. It's not difficult, but you have to know how and have the right gear.

So in short, it can be done - relatively easily - as long as you follow a couple of simple rules! First and foremost, the colour of the connector on the back. If it isn't blue, you don't want it.

Cheerz!

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Ok so if I walk into a dealer and they have Tech2 and I say "I want a Calais V6 cluster reprogrammed for my SV6", they will know what I'm talking about and won't give me the "I'm pretty sure its not possible to do that" spin.

Also, will fitting the three window dash to a previously single window dash vehicle give all the additional 3 window functions once reprogrammed?

Thanks for the info Phreddy

davo43

Another google mechanic
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Thanks Phreddy for that very informative response! :thumbsup: Perhaps this thread should be linked to the VZ info thread??

Also...

Regardless of what cluster you get from whichever model, it will need to be programmed. Now this can be done by the dealer with a Tech2, alternatively myself and a couple of other blokes have a diagnostic program which can be used to alter cluster parameters. Things such as speedo PPK (Pulses Per Kilometre) and tacho PPR (Pulses Per Revolution) must be set, as well as the SRS configuration and so on. It's not difficult, but you have to know how and have the right gear.

...What are the chances of my local Holden dealer being capable of doing this?? Can it be done outside the vehicle?? Reason I ask is because if I can get someone like you to source and pre-program one for me I'd just about do it for the peace of mind...

Also, if I fitted a cluster without setting up these parameters, what kinds of issues will I have??? Will the basic functions like speedo, tacho and fuel still work?? Cheers! :)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
So I buy a Calais VZ Cluster - Send it to you Phreddy get it programmed to my my VZ's specs and stick it in the car. And it will all work???

Sounds too good to be true:)

What about the kms - do I just get a cluster with approx same K's or can that be reprogrammed too at the same time.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
So I buy a Calais VZ Cluster - Send it to you Phreddy get it programmed to my my VZ's specs and stick it in the car. And it will all work???

Sounds too good to be true:)

What about the kms - do I just get a cluster with approx same K's or can that be reprogrammed too at the same time.

I think as long as the cluster has done under 100,000kms it can be re-programmed to the car's kms. Over 100,000kms and the kms are locked.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
My VZ has just clicked over 68000 last month - so it may be able to be reprogrammed then. (watch price of VZ cluster go up on Ebay:p)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
How much are they from Holdens?

From Holdens 2 large gold bars and 1 arm.

Monaro cluster on ebay had a $200 buy it now last week 90k on the odo.