Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CONFIRMED: General Motors Specialty Vehicles to replace Holden

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
CONFIRMED: General Motors Specialty Vehicles to replace Holden

The Corvette is coming after all.

General Motors has confirmed its open-secret, it will establish GM Speciality Vehicles (GMSV) in partnership with HSV owners Walkinshaw Automotive Group to convert left-hand drive GM vehicles for the Australian market.

The American giant made it clear during the announcement of the closure of Holden that it wanted to retain a piece of the Australian markets, albeit smaller, by offering niche models such as the Chevrolet Corvette and Chevrolet Silverado 1500; the latter is already sold by HSV dealers after local conversion.

The death of Holden raised question marks over the future of the right-hand drive Corvette C8 program but today’s announcement confirms it will arrive as planned, as a factory-built model in 2021.

GMSV will begin operations in the fourth quarter of the year, with a limited number of Holden and HSV dealers expected to transition to GMSV branding, with sales of the Silverado 1500 LTZ (which is already sold by HSV) becoming the official first model for the new company.

https://www.speedcafe.com/torquecafe/official-general-motors-specialty-vehicles-to-replace-holden/

HSV-Confirms-Chevrolet-Silverado-1500-lg.jpg

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Sounds good news to keep something going that can support old HSVs.
I've said elsewhere that a longer term strategy would be ground up restoration of old HDT/HSV/Holdens, a la Jaguar Classic or Aston Heritage
Or even modernisation like Singer or Alfaholics.

For new sales, the Corvette is being built in RHD for the UK as well so hopefully they can bring it here with minimal fuss for those who'd like it.
Got to fix those dodgy bonnet clips though...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Sounds good news to keep something going that can support old HSVs.
I've said elsewhere that a longer term strategy would be ground up restoration of old HDT/HSV/Holdens, a la Jaguar Classic or Aston Heritage
Or even modernisation like Singer or Alfaholics.

For new sales, the Corvette is being built in RHD for the UK as well so hopefully they can bring it here with minimal fuss for those who'd like it.
Got to fix those dodgy bonnet clips though...

I'm still waiting to see a pic of an actual RHD C8, still just vapourware...

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I'm still waiting to see a pic of an actual RHD C8, still just vapourware...
It was planned since C7 that RHD was to be supported in the chassis design. I still don't know why they never did a RHD C7 though.

C9 will be a ball tearer as they may move to 4v per cylinder hopefully still retaining pushrods but more likely it'll be quad cam. The LT1 and 2 are already the most powerfull factory GM N/A engines ever built with continuous variable valve timing and DI.
So I hope we get the C8, 9 and 10.
GM was looking at making the C7 4v per cylinder but decided to stay push rod. I'm not sure if they're using cam in cam on the LT1/LT2 for dual variable timing or if the phaser just turns both intake and exhaust.
I would love to see a cam in cam dual phaser push rod 4v cyl engine in the C9 that makes 150hp per liter and revs to 9k in a 5l N/A.
Now GM needs to get in touch with Albins so they can make the next vette a real manual.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Getting ahead much?

They are only just getting into the C8 and it will take years before they reach the last/top model.

The C7 platform was never factory optioned for RHD, the C8 been a mid engine vehicle was designed from the start to be both LH and RH drive. Been that it's mid engine design there is very little in the way at the front of the car to move the steering wheel.

What is more interesting is the fact that it looks like they have retained the transmission tunnel so I would not be surprised if we see a 4wd/awd option in the future.

I find the GMSV, General Motors Special Vehicle name interesting, are we going to see special vehicle aka HSV style pricing?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It would be great if GMSV also handled legacy parts for Holden.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Getting ahead much?

They are only just getting into the C8 and it will take years before they reach the last/top model.

The C7 platform was never factory optioned for RHD, the C8 been a mid engine vehicle was designed from the start to be both LH and RH drive. Been that it's mid engine design there is very little in the way at the front of the car to move the steering wheel.

What is more interesting is the fact that it looks like they have retained the transmission tunnel so I would not be surprised if we see a 4wd/awd option in the future.

I find the GMSV, General Motors Special Vehicle name interesting, are we going to see special vehicle aka HSV style pricing?

I meant they built in provisions for the C7 to be RHD but like I said they never made one.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Interestingly, some bloke on the NT has already registered numerous versions of the new name.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
It was planned since C7 that RHD was to be supported in the chassis design. I still don't know why they never did a RHD C7 though.

C9 will be a ball tearer as they may move to 4v per cylinder hopefully still retaining pushrods but more likely it'll be quad cam. The LT1 and 2 are already the most powerfull factory GM N/A engines ever built with continuous variable valve timing and DI.
So I hope we get the C8, 9 and 10.
GM was looking at making the C7 4v per cylinder but decided to stay push rod. I'm not sure if they're using cam in cam on the LT1/LT2 for dual variable timing or if the phaser just turns both intake and exhaust.
I would love to see a cam in cam dual phaser push rod 4v cyl engine in the C9 that makes 150hp per liter and revs to 9k in a 5l N/A.
Now GM needs to get in touch with Albins so they can make the next vette a real manual.

Do you really think the C8 will be the one token factory RHD vehicle in all of GM's portfolios?