Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Confirmed: Holden Manufacturing in Australia to Close 2017

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
they could still sell the commodore as a commodore it will just be made in korea or somewhere else

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
they could still sell the commodore as a commodore it will just be made in korea or somewhere else

I think that is most likely. 2016 Cadillac Flagship Sedan Development Mule Rear Three Quarters View Photo 14. They say it's a Caddy but I'd also speculate it's the new Omega platform that the SS mill morph to and by adjunct the Commodore as well. I should have confirmation tomorrow re the Commodore's future but I'd say (if) Oshawa Canada would be a prime candidate for it. The Ute is dead and the wagon would be very very unlikely to continue but I'd say the sedan has a better than good chance post 2017. Maybe even a LWB stato too (not sure on that one though)

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
well datsun left then was nissan lol. Leyland, and Singer groups too, as well as mini. But those latter makes aren't represented today (well mini kinda, but is owned by BMW)

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Last edited by a moderator:

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
Anyway read a report on news.com.au suggesting Holden could be rebranded as Chevrolet. Makes sense. People already fit chev badges to Commodores lol.......apparently there are 233 dealerships remaining (used to be 500!), and would cost 500k-1000k to rebrand each site. New signs must be expensive.......

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Perhaps GM is trying to prove that brand loyalty means nothing (been sarcastic).

I wonder why they have not got rid of Vauxhall ? They do not make anything as far I know. All their cars are badge engineered.
GM could call it GM Europe and **** can Opel along the way.

In the US, Government Agencies has to buy vehicles from a domestic manufacturer. However, the Air Force bought several Pontiac G8 GT as U2 runway chase cars (they run next to them to install the landing gear on the wing tips; check youtube). Is an Aussie car, we all know that, but is a Pontiac and Pontiac is domestic brand. I think that is why they might keep some brands around as Government Fleet Vehicles; just because the law says so.

For what I see, Holden might be suffering the same illness that Oldsmobile and Pontiac had. Is the Badge Engineering crap and Global Crap Design/Engineering; the one-size-fits-all-cookie-cut. People went to other manufacturers because of that reason. Do not know much about Oz but here in the states the only exciting in the Excitement Division (Pontiac) and the other Divisions was plastic cladding, Interior Trim and the red dashboard illumination. The feel of the vehicle was the same from Buick, Olds, Chevy and Pontiac.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
yep,we will blame canade-lol

I also heard today about the rebranding which is entirely feasible,they(GM) would save money as the cars built for different markets could all use the same badge
they tried selling Vauxhalls here and failed miserably within the last 2 years,they are now gone

also the datsuns were rebranded as Nissan's as the company changed their name because of Japanese reasons with the name Datsun-can't remember why but I am sure it would be on the net somewhere

KiwiHoldenDriver

Loud, proud Kiwi
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Olympic Spec V6, Suzuki Boulevard S40
At the moment, all I have seen is that Holden will stop manufacturing in Aussie. I have seen nothing about the brand being killed off. I suspect that they will continue to badge up existing models from overseas. I will continue to drive my existing VT for the forseeable future.

One thing is sure. I will not buy one of those dirty four letter things.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I've never considered GM's re-badged offerings and won't start now (Daewoo/Opel/etc).

I mean look at the lineup

Cruze looks decent (aus built only afaik).
Barina is disgusting (probably the ugliest barina ever and that includes the Suzuki one).
Malibu - yuck/horrible like Epica.

Commodore is the only car in their lineup for a lot of Holden fans that stands out as something to have, if the V8 goes then I don't know where my loyalty will lie. Either way doing something like this to a 65 year old marquee leaves lovers of the brand in a wasteland, I don't know if this applies to anyone else but I feel betrayed and lost and more than a little confused.

Surely they know that the big aussie 6/8 cylinder car has a decent enough base to make it worthwhile here, just look at other brands especially Euro's they all have a car that closely aligns with the Commodore moreso Calais (5 series, S class). The numbers support keeping the Calais/SS/SV6/HSV at a lower pricepoint imo as well. They need to leave the base model behind, no more execs or evokes please if you don't want volume.