Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

confused!

classy brass

justloveit
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vu ss ute
got a 2001 ss commodores ute! had a few police in town this weekend! got a warning about my tow bar because it was too high according to them so i had to take it off or id get a fine for $350! then next night i went out driving around got a bretho that was okay then went around the next street and got pulled up for another bretho and i got defected for being 25 mm too low on the rear end and 15 mm too low on the front! i don't understand because when i bought the ute from victoria they did a road worthy and raised it and put stock suspension in it so i would pass in SA! the policeman said he was only defecting me for the back but he wrote the front on the defect notice, so will they be looking at that too? cos i have to go over the pits to get off! or is there some way i can appeal the defect cos i don't really think that 25 mm is gonna make a huge difference!

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Whatever is written on the notice wil have to be checked along with the remainder of the vehicle. When you go to have the vehicle inspected they will advise you exactly what if any remedial work has to be carried out. NO, you can't appeal the defect. Any roadworthiness checks conducted in Victoria will have absolutely no bearing on any outcomes in SA. To avoid problems with Police etc keep your vehicle legal and roadworthy.

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
is it still riding on stock suspension, or have you had it changed since it was brought over? In SA, we have to abide by the eyebrow height, yet in victoria, i believe it is the 100mm clearance, meaning some cars are legally allowed to be lower than here in SA.
Yours will have to pass a full inspection, so make sure everything on the car works (lights, horn, seatbelts), no engine bay leaks, decent tires and return it to as stock as you can, if not already. if it's legal, leave it, if not they'll defect it again.
also there is no way of contending a defect. mine was picked on originally for 10mm too low, and i thought that was finicky but thems the breaks i spose...

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
in SA we don't go buy eyebrow height its in mm and measured with a ruler to be legal
they can not do you for eyebrow in SA

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
dont see how this is relevant to electrical wiring?

bad luck on the defect!

GAMBLR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
in SA we don't go buy eyebrow height its in mm and measured with a ruler to be legal
they can not do you for eyebrow in SA

the distance between the centre of the wheel and the lip of the guard. yes measured in mm, but i thought it was called eyebrow height? cos thats how it was written on my defect, something like
"eyebrow no less than 360mm"

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
so if you were to roll your guards inside themselves and make it look tidy you would be able to go lower??

Kevin Paisley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jalpa tt
SA regs are:
DETERMINATION OF VEHICLE EYEBROW HEIGHT
Vehicle bump clearance specifications as designated with the symbol(E) signifies the vehicles minimum eyebrow height. This distance is measured from the centre of the wheel vertically upward to the edge of the vehicles mudguard, with the vehicle in it's normal operating but unladen condition.
VU Ute minimum eyebrow height (unsure if SS ute is the same?)
379mm - Front
404mm - Rear
The 100mm rule also applies in SA:
A motor vehicle or combination must have a ground clearance of:
a. For any point in the width of the vehicle which is within 1 metre fore and aft of any axle - 100 millimetres;
b. For the midpoint between the two axles - 0.033 times the distance (in millimetres) between the two axles; and
c. For any other point – at least the distance that allows the vehicle or combination to pass over a peak in the road with a gradient on either side of 1:15, if the wheels of 1 axle of the vehicle or combination are on the slope on one side of the peak and the wheels of the next axle are on the slope on the other side.

Good grief - just measure eyebrow (unladen) and 100mm at lowest point will be ok.
Make sure the tow bar does not obscure number plate.
BTW are you able to go over a pit in Kingston or do you have to go to Mount Gambier?

GAMBLR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
so if you were to roll your guards inside themselves and make it look tidy you would be able to go lower??

if you could be bothered with a dauntin task like that i spose u could

SA regs are:
DETERMINATION OF VEHICLE EYEBROW HEIGHT
Vehicle bump clearance specifications as designated with the symbol(E) signifies the vehicles minimum eyebrow height. This distance is measured from the centre of the wheel vertically upward to the edge of the vehicles mudguard, with the vehicle in it's normal operating but unladen condition.
VU Ute minimum eyebrow height (unsure if SS ute is the same?)
379mm - Front
404mm - Rear
The 100mm rule also applies in SA:
A motor vehicle or combination must have a ground clearance of:
a. For any point in the width of the vehicle which is within 1 metre fore and aft of any axle - 100 millimetres;
b. For the midpoint between the two axles - 0.033 times the distance (in millimetres) between the two axles; and
c. For any other point – at least the distance that allows the vehicle or combination to pass over a peak in the road with a gradient on either side of 1:15, if the wheels of 1 axle of the vehicle or combination are on the slope on one side of the peak and the wheels of the next axle are on the slope on the other side.

Good grief - just measure eyebrow (unladen) and 100mm at lowest point will be ok.
Make sure the tow bar does not obscure number plate.
BTW are you able to go over a pit in Kingston or do you have to go to Mount Gambier?

cheers for clarifying that mate, i knew it was along those lines somewhere

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
actually thats interesting it says unladen that would mean all the p platers measure while mates in their cars is wrong and if you have a bootfull tools or fishing gear it would also be wrong