Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Confussed about which model i have..help

Kelltza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ss ute
Hi in 2015 i bought a 07 VZ ss ute 8cy 6liter ,6pd man, MY06 upgrade, ( gen 4 ) L98 eng.......since iv had it there has been some debate over the model of my ute.

i know it as how i described above as a VZ ss , now iv had other ppl tell me its a VZ ss thunder.....

Now can someone clear this up for me, obviously my paperwork says what i know my car to be, but how dose one know the difference between the a SS vs thunder

H

harrop.senator

Thunder had a 270 kw l98 6 litre , twin hump hardlid , 18" cv8-r style wheels and was usually in bright colours.

Ss 6.0 had standard vz ss wheels and a 260 kW l76 engine.

Engine numbers probably the easiest way to tell for sure. A lot of people refer to all the 6 litres as l98's but they weren't all l98's

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
They could be optioned up to an L98 AFAIK. Some low number of Executives (6 I think) even had the L98 optioned in.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
What is the prefix (first three characters) on your engine number?

grasshopper645

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS Ute 6.0
I have a thunder with L76 engine. Also interested in what differences, if any, there are with the thunder. Only difference I can see is the badge on the side and the hard lid design?