Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Connecting a neon to where the interior/boot light would go?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Hey guys,

Just a pretty n00b like question (it's not for a Commodore but I figuire all cars are the same in regards to this). You know those cradle things where the interior lights go? The metal brackets where you clip the light into? Alright I've found a picture of it and attached it.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is how they work? Is one side of this cradle thing 12v and the other side a ground, or are both sides 12v? The reason I'm asking is because in the boot of a car I want to add a neon and since this car is too annoying to pull apart to add some new cable I figuired it would be good to just replace the courtesy light, and the neon I bought has a black cable which is for earth I think and a red cable for 12v power.

I want to remove the courtesy light and replace it (wrap & solder the cables onto the terminals), is this possible or just a stupid idea?

All replies welcome, thanks heaps!

Last edited:

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
yeah what azzfox said. I saw somewhere that you can get neons that go in inplace of the original bulbs. Just put it in as normal and it works.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Awesome, thanks guys, you've made my day!

Just another quick question, is there a way to tell which connector is which, or if I put the neon on the wrong way it won't break it, just won't light up?

Cheers! :D

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
i have a blue neon in my boot to it took 5min to swap over very easy to do

i use something which i don't know what it's called but it looks like a pen and has one wire coming off it.
all you do is hook that onto bare metal then put the tip of the pen thing onto either side of the thing you are connecting it to and the power wire lights up the pen the earth doesn't very cool little thing i'm sure that'll make it easier for you but you have to find one first i got mine form autobarn. and also there not exspensive either

Attachments

• 100_1840.JPG
    100_1840.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 264

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
maginoodle said:
I saw somewhere that you can get neons that go in inplace of the original bulbs.
as you have probably seen in another thread i think you'r talking about those l.e.d festoon globes.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I've got a multimeter but wouldn't have a clue on how to use it, there's a red wire, a black wire and three holes they can go into, and it's got a dial with lots of options but I don't know what any of them mean, if you could tell me which one you use when you do it and which coloured wire would go where (in the multimeter and the car) it would be ever so appretiated! :D

Thanks heaps!

EDIT: it looks exactly like this:

meter2.gif

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
put the Black lead in "COM", Red lead in "V mA" and set it to 20V DC (as in pic). then hold Black lead on chassis (make sure its clean and no paint) and Red lead on one of the light terminals untill you get a reading of around 12.00V and that will be the posive terminal (make sure light is switched on first :p)

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
one side + and ones - make sure the neon ur using has he inverter bulit in to the neon itself and not the cigarette plug, if u cut off a cigarette plug that has the inverter into it and wire the neon without the inverter u will short it out cause neons only use 4v.. if u have a neon that has an inverter in it the u just snip the wires and wire one side to + and the other to -, it will only work one way so why bother testing ur terminals if it doesnt work swap the wires simple